Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
canoes_gw

steep hill; drainage issues

canoes
14 years ago

I bought a small house in N GA built into the side of a hill. The driveway is narrow and I tried to get the turnaround enlarged at side of house. It seems we uncovered a wet weather stream...GA is having a record rain year. It's a saga... Water is running down the drive and freezing on cold mornings. I just had a couple french drains run under the gravel turnaround and drive at the top ($1225). It didn't solve the problems.

Two issues I'd love advice on.

Water is still seeping/freezing onto the drive, which is paved until it reaches top. Impassable some mornings.The drive comes straight up the hill until it gets to the front of house/turnaround, then turns to the front of turnaround/house. The suggestion is to put in more french drains under the turnaround and run them along uphill side of drive. Think that will solve it?

The other problem is that water is pouring out of one of the pipes from under drive. Since it's a steep bank with a couple giant boulders and trees, I'm concerned about erosion. Suggesion is to run a pipe down hill. I'm wondering if I put in a "dry" creek bed rather than pipe, if it would look better and help with erosion. Not sure if water will return in drier years. I've had house almost 2 years with record drought initially, now record rain.

Comments (4)