Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
any option except cement curbing?

Posted by enumjon none (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 13, 11 at 10:56

I have recently had a aggregate cement circular driveway installed at my house. The driveway is approximately 70' in diameter with a 15' planting bed in the middle. Now that the winter rains have arrived I find that the entire upper half of the driveway drains into the middle bed, making it pretty swampy.

I think that putting a poured cement decorative curbing around the bed will be a good option, it will divert all the driveway runoff from the bed and into the drainage system set up at the lower portion of the driveway. However, all the local companies have a $600-750 minimum charge, and this small job is using less than half of that allotted charge.

I will put up the money if needed, but is there any other option to divert rainwater from the middle planting bed? I know that a logical option is to have the company install more curbing in another part of the yard, but I do not plan on using curbing anywhere else.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: any option except cement curbing?

• Posted by tibs 5/6 OH (My Page) on
    Thu, Jan 13, 11 at 19:33

The definition of cement: "a building material that is a powder made of a mixture of calcined limestone and clay; used with water and sand or gravel to make concrete."

Sorry for the mini lecture, but everytime I hear someone call concrete "cement", the ghost of my father comess haunting. I got corrected so many times as a kid for calling concrete "cement" or referring to limestone as "gravel". But for another idea, what about a raingarden in the center part? - lots of websites on that, or check your extension office, or your soil and water district office.

o

There are DIY options and options using different materials. For example, you could probably mix up enough concrete (thanks for clarifying, Tibs - is that use correct??) yourself to do this, or you could lay a row of bricks and mortar them in. Or you could get stone or bricklayers in to do the job instead, they might charge less, not having to pay the overhead of the "cement" truck.

KarinL

o

Thanks for the advice, and the correction! I am ready to learn any subject, from landscaping to cement work to grammar.

I will try to a few local stone masons or brick layers to see if they can work something out. I would love to try DIY, but based on the results of my previous attempts I only get to do projects that are not visible.

The rain garden does make the most sense for the area, but we already have a deodora cedar in the bed. As I was planting the tree I discovered that I had 2 feet of quicksand. After planting the tree it sank 6 inches over the next day or two, I really need to keep some of the water out of there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here