Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pbl_ge

At the feet of the blueberries

pbl_ge
12 years ago

I had posted this to the edible landscapes forum, before I realized that forum is about 99.9% dead.

I know people have asked about underplantings for blueberries before, but our conditions are not the same as prior questioners, so I thought I'd see if the answers differed. We put a line of blueberries on the south side of our house, immediately next to the driveway. Here's a before/after (actually, it's after/before) photo of the area:

{{gwi:7040}}

We're hoping these will tolerate the sub-optimal blueberry conditions: our soil is rather alkaline (ph=7.0 before amending) and this is only half sun/shade. The sun will depend a lot on the season and how high the sun is in the sky. (That's a clematis jackmanii in the middle, btw.)

We'd like something to plant underneath them that will keep the weeds down without inhibiting blueberry growth. We added a lot of compost, peat moss (I know, I know--but we had priorities) and the sulfate acidifying stuff. We will continue to work on acidifying the soil.

What would you plant here? Would the fact that this is directly next to the driveway stop you from planting anything edible?

Thanks in advance for you thoughts!

Comments (2)