Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
4x4 Fence Post Sleeves?

Posted by uvascanyon (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 15, 11 at 11:54

We have an old, dilapidated fence that needs to be replaced. While working on the planting of Italian Cypress near it, I had this seemingly novel idea of a sleeve, within the concrete, that receives the post. This way when the post deteriorates and needs replacement, it's a rather simple procedure of sliding out the old one, and in with the new; as opposed to digging-up and removing a massive 3' concrete cylinder.

Of course, someone already had such an idea, and product as well, as seen in the provided link. Seems a bit pricey though, given the number that I'd need.

Is anyone else aware of other such offerings? I saw something called Oz-Posts, or something like that, but they don't go into concrete though.

I appreciate any input you might have, thank you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Novel Fence Post Sleeve Product

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 4x4 Fence Post Sleeves?

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 15, 11 at 13:01

When I am faced with rotted out fence posts, or even contemplating a new fence construction, I find it cheaper to use 2.5 inch diameter steel fence posts framed out with 1" pressure treated douglas fir to hide the metal. The posts are the same as those used for cyclone fences and last forever. You can offset the locations of the new posts from the old footings, and simply rehang the existing rails and fencing off the new posts without having to dig up the footings.

o

That sounds like a rather neat idea. Might you have a photo so I can better visualize? I'm thinking of a "country" fence, you know the type, with like 3 or 4 2x8" spans, between the 4x4 posts.

With your approach (2.5" gal posts), would that be possible?

Really trying to visualize the framing... Thanks again!

o

If I can follow-up further, here (link) are some neat steel to wood adapters. While I'm still not sure how you "hide" the galvanized post, I wonder if it's possible to get a good, lasting paint job on galvanized. If so, kindly share...

I'd like to avoid the commercial look of galvanized in our rural setting... Either that, or put wood over it, as described earlier.

Here is a link that might be useful: Steel to wood adapters...

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 16, 11 at 12:57

The 1" wood is used to create a framed box sleeve that slips vertically over the steel pole to hide the metal, with the wood lag screwed into the pole to secure it. Typical wood framing for the fence is then attached as it would normally be for a wood post. The metal pole is not visible at all, if a 2" by 6" or similar is used as a horizontal trim/cap at the fence. I've no experience with trying to paint galvanized steel, but I suppose there are paints and primers meant for this.

o

Thanks for the reply. I follow what you are saying, and is what I had visualized basically... I'll stop at The Home Depot or Lowe's soon to see what I can come-up with to create this box sleeve.

Today's pressure-treated wood eats hardware, unless it has a special coating. So, securing these four pieces of wood to create the frame should take that into account...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here