Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Berm beds

Posted by nanarose z5/6MO (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 15, 07 at 13:26

I don't want a typical raised bed with landscaping timbers or such, but a berm bed. I have seen pictures of these but not quite sure how to begin one. Do I just pile compost, soil and manure on the grass or do I need to dig a trench first to keep grass from going into the bed. Need all the help I can get. I just moved into this house and want to get beds started this summer.
Thanks.
Rose

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Berm beds

Never heard of the term berm bed before, but it sounds great. I have built and planted berms with perennials and groundcovers, but I never used a trench at its base. I would be concerned with it filling in with erosion. Typically I am not worried about grass creeping up my berm but rather my berm plantings creeping out into the yard. A healthy thick lawn can hold it's own against most on-comers though, but soon enough I will be putting in some black plastic edging.

o

Rose: How big of a berm are you thinking about? Below is a link with some good information on basic berms.

- Brent

Here is a link that might be useful: Building Soil Berms - SULIS

o

I prefer a clean line with no edging material around any garden bed, bermed or otherwise, so I'd do the trench to outline the area in question. Erosion is typically not a problem with a well-designed berm - the slope is not severe enough to encourage it and without some sort of demarkation, turf grasses will encroach if not kept back.

The SULIS website is an excellent overview on berming. There is no need to remove existing sod if you layer the area first with newspaper - a modification of a lasagne garden - as long as the berm is deep enough to allow planting without disturbing this layer until the sod and paper has decomposed.

Also, bermed or mounded beds just seem to call out for a couple of well-placed landscape boulders to anchor them and provide a sense of permanence. And they are a wonderful addition to allow suitable plants to drape or cascade over or creep around. Just be sure to "plant" them well, with a third to half in the ground so they look natural and not just flung into the planting area.

o

Would a berm be a method to block water that is flowing from yard to yard? I am thinking about putting in something that woould look natural to block/soak water.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to create a berm

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here