Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
make lumber raised bed more attractive

Posted by m_taggart 8 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 6, 12 at 14:08

I could not think of a better place to put this post, so forgive me if it is out of place.

I'm planning to make some raised vegetable beds or either pallet wood or 2x6 untreated lumber. In order to satisfy my neighbors and (more importantly) my wife, I'd prefer them to be moderately attractive or at least not an eyesore. Does anyone have suggestions for an organic-gardening-safe type of preservative or finish to help improve the appearance of what will be bare wood? Something to darken the color would be great. I was also thinking of maybe a milk paint.

I found a really weird recipe for weather resistant milk paint.

5 parts cottage cheese
1 part hydrated lime
lime safe pigment for colors other than white

Has anyone ever made something like this? You suggestions are welcome.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: make lumber raised bed more attractive

Yes. The idea was to darken the paint with charcoal, but it took unbelievable amounts of charcoal to get past light gray. Doing it again, I think I'd stick with plain whitewash simply because it is a lot easier, and not that different.

The paint lasted about a year, I think. After that, the wood just weathered to gray.

o

Did you make your own paint, or buy it pre-made? There appears to be a finish coat available for exterior applications of milk paint. I am thinking of using that if I decide this is a viable option.

o

I made it. Since then, I've seen commercial milk paint for sale.

Is the finish coat something like linseed oil?

o

When you buy a whisky barrel to use as a planter the inside has been charred to preserve the wood, there is also a Japanese technique of charring wood decoratively perhaps you could do something like that using a blow lamp.

o

I guess cost is an issue if you are considering pallet lumber but I don't think there is a rule that veg beds have to be wood. Stone perhaps? If you have an opportunity to collect fieldstone or get some off craigslist, consider that.

Other option that I've used for raised beds is marble or granite off-cuts from a countertop place. They put rather big pieces out in the lane near my place.

Other cheap option, broken-up concrete.

Karin L

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here