Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
petuniaxyz

Senior Citizen Friendly foundation planting

petuniaxyz
13 years ago

I had a tree service give me an estimate to take down an ailing dogwood that is in the middle of my postage stamp lawn. In addition to the tree I decided to have them take out the 28 year old dwarf hinoki cypress, dwarf Alberta spruce, Andromeda and yew which make up the foundation plants in the front of my home. The evergreens are too big to manage and it looks like shrubs are devouring the house. Years ago we were all advised to plant evergreens at the corner of our homes � now my neighborhood is dwarfed by these huge conifers.

I would like to get some suggestions for shrubs, grasses, and perenials that are senior friendly. I have too many ailments to climb ladder to trim shrubs and I need your advice on selecting some shrubs and plants that will stay small.

I live in zone 6 � my soil is clay. It is a south west exposure that will get full sun. There will be no shade once the dogwood is gone. The area is about 15 feet long by 10 feet wide.

I have a bay window flanked by 2 window wells in the front of my home to consider. My siding is blue gray.

I think my seasonal interest would be summer, fall and winter as I have a zoysia grass lawn that does not green up until May.

Your advice is welcome. Many thanks.

PS. Would limelight hydrangea and knock out roses be a possibility?

Comments (3)