Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
casolorz

Gravel driveway edge

casolorz
11 years ago

I have about 700 linear feet of gravel driveway which I would like to add an edge to in order to keep the gravel and the grass yard separate. I have looked at doing a concrete edge but now I am leaning towards separating the gravel and grass with some plants instead.

The idea started when we saw a similar separation done with some beautiful ferns however this was done in a tropical country and I don't know if it would work here (Kansas zone 6a).

My driveway is full sun, and I mean all day. It does have irrigation. I have one small spot where water accumulates and could be trouble but I plan on doing something about draining that area somehow before doing this. The soil is clay, but I don't have a problem with bringing better soil and/or doing treatments.

So here is what I want to know, what are some pretty evergreen perennials which are fairly short (I would say 2 feet and lower) that I can use. Because of the length it would be ideal if it was a plant that I can easily grow from cuttings, or splitting, or even from seed. I think the ideal plant we would use for the whole driveway and every so often we would add some nice feature. For example on the driveway we saw that had ferns, they had some nice roses of sharon every so often, and other tropical plants, it looked great, but the ferns were the main thing and covered the entire driveway edge. I am not opposed to using some sort of succulent if evergreen, or some short bamboo (although I'm scared of it spreading wildly) or some sort of ornamental grass (but I would really prefer if I didn't have to cut it at the beginning of the spring).

Ideas?

Thank you.

Comments (5)