Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Front Yard needs love!

Posted by smdane05 8 Texas (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 28, 12 at 14:30

Alright,
I am not having any inspration hit me. My front yard needs to have love desperately. I don't even know what to start on. I want to make it freidnly and welcoming for my soon-to-be one year old. I started seed/plant exchange and I have a habitat for humanity restore to buy materials at.

I'm browsing for fav ideas that children love and for some herbs creations!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Front Yard needs love!

Start with big picture, not small issues like "what plant."

Think about what kind of areas you need, what your movements are through the yard, what you need when you get to various parts of it, and what kind of maintenance you want to be doing (mowing vs weeding vs. sweeping, for example). Sometimes this is called the "plastic chair" method of design - drag a plastic chair around the yard, sit down, and think about what you need in that spot - a path to get to it, a shrub to block a view, or to remove a shrub so you can see the child from where you are.

Most kids like to dig, collect stuff and display it, build things, and maybe roll a dump truck around.

Drawing a plan view (from the air) can give you something to sketch ideas on.

Karin L

o

Thanks Karin! That really helps, I really want an engaging environment for my son!

o

Just remember that "an engaging environment" may not be the same for you as it is for your son.

o

Ink is right - but it is not illegitimate for the yard to meet the needs of both. But sometimes an adult need precludes the needs of kids, for example, delicate flower borders that a ball MUST not be allowed to roll into!! I assume that is what you are trying to avoid. A place where you are BOTH happy being is the best outcome.

Remiss of me to not mention a fence. Safety from wandering, and from passing dogs etc, is the first component of being an engaging space for children!

Finally, check lists of poisonous plants. Don't go overboard; kids can be taught not to eat anything they find in the garden without asking you. However, at one they are too young for that - one of mine nibbled on lily of the valley at that age - and there is no point in unnecessarily escalating risk.

Karin L

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here