Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Landscape ideas

Posted by aslavetofashion 6 (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 21, 13 at 14:59

We just finished giving our house a new look and need to put in new landscaping. I'd love to hear your ideas. I am in Ridgefield, CT. If anyone knows a good designer, I might go that way. The deer are very bad here. Six were eating grass in my backyard just a few hours ago. I'll add a close up of each side of the house below. Thanks! Anne

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Landscape ideas

Beautiful house! I see ornamental grasses. (Are some deer proof?)
D

o

Cannot see how it is in the photo, but if this were my house I would have a "plaza-like" termination of the walk where it meets the entrance steps. It's a nice set of steps and entrance and in order to keep with the same niceness, one needs to be able to step off that bottom step at any point onto the walk ... not just at a 4' wide section of it. Maybe that's how it already is. Cannot see.

As far as planting, you might include a couple more shots from the exact same vantage point, but that are angled (pivot) so as to show 20' or 30' to the right and left side of the house. (The planting for the house front does not just "quit" in line with the house corners. It's in a setting that extends to some degree beyond those corners.)

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 23, 13 at 12:25

If deer are a severe problem in your area, and you won't be fencing to keep them out, you really need to consult with local nurseries or landscape professionals that know what holds up in your town. Standard deer resistant lists of plants have become nearly worthless in some areas due to extreme deer overpopulation. Noting what plants you admire and resist deer predation in your neighborhood, consulting with neighbors who garden or also maintenance gardeners in your town will help expand the list.

Design issues are another issue altogether, but the house is nice looking and shouldn't be difficult to landscape. Perennial grasses in general do work well in deer country, you can add grassy foliaged plants such as Acorus, Carex, Juncus species to that mix, along with most all Iris species. Your local county agriculture extension office, master gardener association or local university or Botanic gardens, along with good retail nurseries would all be good sources for deer resistant plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here