Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Italian Cypress - Locating Near Power / Utility Lines

Posted by uvascanyon (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 17, 11 at 15:13

Given that these trees (Italian Blue Cypress) get to 40' and higher, is there a general rule for planting near structures or power & telephone lines?

I'm trying to visualize how these will sway back-and-forth during heavy winds. I'd ideally like to plant one or two more, but I want to make sure I won't have any issues later, albeit much later (1 gallon containers)...

In strong winds, do the tips move 5' off center, 10 or more?

Thanks much for the guidance as I finish-up with the design / layout for this landscaping project...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Italian Cypress - Locating Near Power / Utility Lines

If power or phone lines are nearby, I'd check with the utility to find out if they have the right to prune your plants, and under what circumstances they can do so (height, distance to lines, etc.).

o

Thanks for the reply. I know for a fact that our power provider has the right, as they've done so in the past (me and neighbors). They seem to clear-out about 3 to 5 feet of space from their lines...

Those were for trees such as oak though. The Italian Cypress grows in a very tight column typically. I believe that I could plant one or two more and still be that 3 to 5 feet away...

But, in heavy winds, I'm curious how much they would sway though. I imagine that these tops would move a fair amount, but I'm not sure...

o

So, I planted the nearest Italian Cypress about 12' away from the telephone / utility pole. I needed to go that far away due to the overhead lines...

I'd still like to have some plant between this pole and the first Italian Cypress, as seen in the first few seconds of this video (link below). Width is about 3 feet though (hoping not to prune, thus my choice of Italian Cypress)...

Any ideas? Something with some color would be nice.

Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful: 16 Italian Cypress

o

Here is an excellent resource when decided what trees to plant near power lines.

Here is a link that might be useful: Southern California Edison

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here