Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
citznfish

Recommendations for Landscape architect in the 805 area code

Darrell DuMond
9 years ago

Hello,

I am looking for any forum members who have had good experiences with a landscape architect in the 805 or 818 area code. I am located in east Simi Valley and would like to work with someone on designing our backyard.

Also, do these architects usually provide more than one design? How detailed are the plans they should be providing? We want to incorporate a pool/bbq/fire pit along with lawn, lighting, etc. I am hoping to get a plan that would enable me to subcontract out various portions of the design to bring it through to completion.

Thanks
CF

Comments (3)

• marcinde
    9 years ago

what, like an HGTV "pick which design you like best" sort of thing? Generally, no, although I will often (for an additional fee) set up an additional meeting early in the process where I can review preliminary sketches with clients so we can see what a couple of design directions would look like. Of course if someone wanted to pay my design fee x 3 I would happily do 3 completed designs.

The plans are as detailed as you and the design professional agree to in the contract. To get what you want you'll definitely want to let them know that you've made the (horrible, regrettable) decision to act as your own GC and need the appropriate documentation.

• bahia
    9 years ago

My own experience as a designer is that the initial concept design might include a couple of different design schematics showing different design solutions that met with the client's design brief, and that the next step would be to present them, evaluate each with the client, and either select one, or modify one to include client feedback, and then proceed to complete construction drawings to allow it to be bid out. If you intend to act as your own gc, you should either have some experience to do so, or perhaps have your landscape architect help with review of bids and contractor selection/qualifications. If you don't have the experience/background to be knowledgeable about the construction process and potential pitfalls, there's a lot that can go wrong, and you wouldn't necessarily even realize why/when/where/how.

• bahia
    9 years ago

My own experience as a designer is that the initial concept design might include a couple of different design schematics showing different design solutions that met with the client's design brief, and that the next step would be to present them, evaluate each with the client, and either select one, or modify one to include client feedback, and then proceed to complete construction drawings to allow it to be bid out. If you intend to act as your own gc, you should either have some experience to do so, or perhaps have your landscape architect help with review of bids and contractor selection/qualifications. If you don't have the experience/background to be knowledgeable about the construction process and potential pitfalls, there's a lot that can go wrong, and you wouldn't necessarily even realize why/when/where/how.