Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katiep23_gw

New to Homeowning. Flood spot in backyard.

katiep23
13 years ago

Back right portion of my backyard is holding standing water pretty badly down here in Alabama & was wondering what you guys think my best options would be. Backyard is pretty flat overall, but water seems to be at its worst over there. And the dogs love to get muddy in it! Dry creek bed??

{{gwi:7865}}

{{gwi:7867}}

Comments (6)

• manda3
    13 years ago

Do you have a lower spot on the property where the rest of your water drains properly to the local creek system?

My backyard used to fill up with water until I installed a french drain to the alley. There was just a bit of a hill there. I also had water filling up in the floor of the garage, so I did dig a trench from the lowest corner out about four feet and just filled it back in with the same dirt and a little expanded shale and haven't seen the problem repeat itself yet.

Unless you can make the dry creek attractive I would try to do something hidden like a french drain, or a buried open bottomed tank. I don't know what those are called, but basically you have the water drain into that and it will slowly let the water seep down into the soil without you having to wait for it above ground.

• meganpnw
    13 years ago

I believe the tank that collects the water from the surface and then slowly drains it underground is called a dry well.

• lafayetteri.com
    13 years ago

however, if you have that much water on top, posibility is you would have ground saturation. if this is the case then drywell will aid in a central location for water to pool, fill up, become stagnant, and stink. being in the dogs area, planting bed might not be a solution, or would it? plantings with invasive tertiary root system to suck up that water would be suggested. if not, regrade with a slight swale to the corner of the property. our systems are designed with a process gravel base of a couple inches deep by a couple feet wide from high end to low end covered by a couple of inches topsoil so you can plant over it. depending on your type of soil at said location. iff the water saturation is extreme, then a french drain with crushed stone and filter fabric would be suggested but putting it at an end location would be the callenge. getting it to daylight, or possible drywell in a dryer location could be possible.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lafayette Landscape & Construction, Inc.

• katiep23
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have an easement behind the back fence that would be a great spot to direct water to without pushing water towards my neighbor's I believe.

I don't think a plant bed would be a solution for me, with or without the dogs. I am completely gardenly challenged.

Sounds like if I make sure the easement behind my yard is a good spot to capture the water, that a buried french drain would be my best bet? Any ideas on approximate costs of installation, as I definitely won't be trying it on my own.

Thanks a bunch!

• abrodie
    13 years ago

My old Montreal garden had this exact problem as a consequence was unusable for the first weeks of nice weather as the snow melted. Our solution took several years ... once the ground was dry enough to walk on we put a layer of sheep manure and seeded quite densely. It took about 3 years but at the end of that time we didn't have any temporary ponds.

Before we lived there, all our neighbours had successfully petitioned our municipality to fix their drainage issues by installing french drains. Our solution took longer but was just as effective.

• in ny zone5
    13 years ago

On the right it looks like a shallow trench from under the fence to the point from where the 2nd picture was taken. Make sure that all water stays at least 10 ft away from the house, or it might go into the basement. I would fill up any low point with top soil except the far right spot at the fence, where the water may collect and drain away under the fence. Did you look over the fence and see if this trench continues on neighbor's property? The water has to drain somewhere.

I had a house once where water ran into my basement when the ground was frozen. I fixed that by putting more soil towards the house, 6 ft wide, and dug a trench to the street.