Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Questioning Contractor's Landscape Lighting Choice

Posted by caroleoh z5 central OH (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 4, 14 at 16:49

Recently, we had landscape lighting installed throughout our yard including the approach from the street which is a landscaped bed in two tiers with large rocks forming the tiers.

I had told our lighting guy I wanted to illuminate the rocks because they're an attractive landscaping feature and our street has no street lights so it's really dark down there at night.

This is what I got. Yes, it is illuminated at night, but I told him I didn't want to look at sticks the other 16 hours of the day when it's not dark outside.

Am I being out of line? I think these lights look really odd. Granted it's hard to tell in the winter with no hostas or other plants visible, but these lights would still stick up well over the plant heights.

He thinks using a flood or spotlight would create a light "Hot spot" and we'd lose the gradual spread of light that these path lights give.

I'd appreciate any advice or suggestion you all might have as to what type of light would work best in this area. Or, if you think the path lights look ok, let me know that too!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Questioning Contractor's Landscape Lighting Choice

Placement is as important as (if not more important) than what the objects themselves look like. Placement, here, looks haphazard. I'm not speculating as to what you could have had, but I wouldn't be happy with what you have now. Could it be correlated to cost? Nice lighting tends to be pricey.

o
RE: Questioning Contractor's Landscape Lighting Choice

Yea, these lights are around $200 a piece installed, so that's why I'm a little perturbed with the sticks coming out of the ground.

I think I'm going to have him swap them out for spots like he did on the tree in the right side of the picture. We may have to tweak things come spring.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here