Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
treecity

Got rid of the ivy, now what?

Oaktown
9 years ago

Wow, I came to post and saw the big old ivy thread . . .

We live in the SF bay area. Our backyard is an area of approx 90'x60' with part sun/dry shade (coast live oak and valley oak). After we bought the place we removed some poison oak and lots and lots of ivy. Since then we have been leaving the leaf litter and more recently started dumping grass clippings from the front yard. But, we would like to plant something to try to keep this area from becoming a dust bowl in the summer. Any suggestions?

There was a bit of thin native (?) grass around some of the ivy before the removal, I was kind of hoping that would come back but it has not. Husband wants more lawn but I would like something more natural. I would prefer not to add irrigation to this area but I don't mind hand watering until something gets established. I would even appreciate any ideas for an interim solution until we figure out what to do long-term.

Comments (4)

• bahia
    9 years ago

In general, Coast Live Oaks and irrigated lawns are not a good combination for long term health of the trees. There are plenty of lists available on-line and in reference books such as the Sunset Western Garden Book that make recommendations for suitable lower water needing plantings, be they California native oak woodland species, or similar shade and drought tolerant plants from other Mediterranean climate zones. The degree of sun versus shade will influence what plants work best. The Mediterranean Garden Society also has a website with recommendations for your conditions. A visit up to Tilden Botanic Garden or the UC Berkeley Botanic Garden would be good places to see plantings in similar situations to yours.

As to irrigation requirements, depending on plants chosen and timing of initial plantings, you may get by with just occasional hand watering the first several summers, but an automated drip irrigation system designed around your plant choices and water needs is more reliable and certainly gives faster establishment. Late fall/early winter plantings are the ideal establishment period here in the Bay Area.

• Oaktown
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks bahia. I spent a few hours on the Las Pilitas website and my head just started spinning. Do you have any thoughts on yerba buena or some kind of sedge?

Haven't been to the Berkeley gardens in many years . . . sounds like a good excuse to go. Unfortunately we missed the late fall planting window, got distracted trying to unpack . . . my Sunset books are somewhere in all these boxes :-)

• bahia
    9 years ago

Take your time with it, don't stress about getting a whole garden in right away. Personally, I find a good reference book a better starting point than web sites, and Las Pilitas is really more appropriate for southern California conditions. I'd also suggest looking at the EBMUD book on Drought tolerant landscaping. Do get up to those botanic gardens, they will get the ideas flowing, point you to plants that you like.

Ive used plenty of both Carex species and the Yerba Buena in garden designs for clients here in the East Bay, some other natives along those lines might include manzanitas, Ribes, Juncus spp, Rhamnus californica 'Eve Case', Carpinteria californica, etc. You might also consider hiring a landscape designer/architect to help focus your efforts, there's lots of good ones around here.

• bahia
    9 years ago

Take your time with it, don't stress about getting a whole garden in right away. Personally, I find a good reference book a better starting point than web sites, and Las Pilitas is really more appropriate for southern California conditions. I'd also suggest looking at the EBMUD book on Drought tolerant landscaping. Do get up to those botanic gardens, they will get the ideas flowing, point you to plants that you like.

Ive used plenty of both Carex species and the Yerba Buena in garden designs for clients here in the East Bay, some other natives along those lines might include manzanitas, Ribes, Juncus spp, Rhamnus californica 'Eve Case', Carpinteria californica, etc. You might also consider hiring a landscape designer/architect to help focus your efforts, there's lots of good ones around here.