Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what do you think of this plant, mostly flowers, combo?

Posted by Mindyw3 5 (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 20, 12 at 17:10

This is for an existing.bed on the west side of the house. Part of it is in shade all day.and the.northern end of it gets strong afternoon sun for a few hours. I'm more interested in what you think of the color and texture of the following, all of which I have:
Arctic iris
Chinese forget me nots
Jamaican forget me nots
White campanula
Lobelia (deep blue)
Delphinium fountains mix
Gartford giants poppies (just on the sunnier end which will be next to purple butterfly bushes.in the front bed. There are red ground cover roses in the front bed also to tie in the poppies. I didn't want it to be too cool or monochromatic. The house is pale yellow with white brick. I would like something more dainty with white flowers but don't have anything that will tolerate the shade. What do you guys think?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what do you think of this plant, mostly flowers, combo?

The problem with flowers is that most of them bloom for only a short time and often not at the same time. So generally, going with the house is not a problem because the overwhelming impression is usually green :-) That's one reason why I actually don't worry too much about bloom colour when I plant perennials other than to be sure I like the colour. You're right to consider texture as well - you will be looking at that a lot more. Consider overall plant shape/structure as well.

But also, common names are not that good a way to convey what plants you are talking about - I have no idea what some of these are without latin names.

Karin L

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here