Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lyfia

Layout for backyard near house - suggestions

lyfia
9 years ago

We are wanting to improve on our backyard and create sort of a smaller yard near the house. We have 2 acres that the house sits on and 2 acres next door.

I'm wanting to have a diving pool that also would allow some recreational swimming that is about 38-40 ft long with a tanning shelf attached to the shallower end. We have a nice view of a pond across the property next to us. I'd like to screen the yellow house some and also to the road side.

I want covered seating for dining for at least 10 and also have some just sitting/lounging space under that cover. Also need a sink/trash/fridge area there. We have a movable grill that I'd want to put under there too but want to be able to move around to avoid getting smoke on people when grilling.

I've attached a general plan of the area. The stairs and gates can move and the lines with the squares (columns) signify where a retaining wall would go and the approximate height of it in areas. We want a fence to sit on top of this retaining wall as well and the squares are stone columns.

My thinking in arrangement is pool on the left side with covered patio close to the current porch or sitting right next to it. Would have to re-work the whole roof line there to tie it in so not sure we'd want to do that, but it would maximize the shade for us. We are in TX where it is hot and sunny so to be outside in the summer shade is a must and to not have to move chairs around too much.

Don't really know how we could arrange things though without blocking views from inside.

I'm thinking I don't want decking all around the pool. Just on the side near the house and the other side could be used with plants to screen view from road and the yellow house, but allow us to retain some view of the pond.

What are your thoughts? How would you arrange things and what shape pool would you use. Geometric/freeform?

How would you do the covered patio? The further from the house the larger it would be to provide maximum shade. Also what style roof would help with this. Would a hip roof if freestanding work{{gwi:807}} better than a gable. Our house is all gable though so would a hip look odd. I guess once I figure out where things should go and general flow I can start thinking about that stuff.

Here are pics:

General layout without patio/pool/sink etc. added. The right most patio doors is what would be closest to our inside kitchen. A square represents 1 sq ft.

{{gwi:2117622}}

Survey to see overall view and north
{{gwi:2117623}}

Pictures taken from standing at the middle{{gwi:807}} column at the existing covered porch
{{gwi:2117624}}

{{gwi:2117625}}

{{gwi:2117626}}

{{gwi:2117627}}

{{gwi:2117628}}

{{gwi:2117629}}

{{gwi:2117630}}

Around the corner on the right side of the house

{{gwi:2117631}}

Around the corner on the left side of the house and the road

{{gwi:2117632}}

View of house from playscape

{{gwi:2117633}}

TIA for your opinions/ideas.

This post was edited by lyfia on Fri, Jan 30, 15 at 23:10

Comments (12)

• lyfia
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thanks Emmarene, we do not want to change the existing roof if at all possible. It would require to completely redo the roof over the great room.

We have some plans we've paid for and I can draw in and post, but each has some things we don't like about them. We've tried to marry them and some are just too expensive.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

I agree with Em. The project is going to be complex so it would be best to involve someone who knows what they're doing. With plans already in existence, you should include a statement as to what you dislike about them in order for effort not to be expended in the same direction.

I'm making a stab at a VERY GENERAL IDEA of where things might go. I'm sure it is rife with "mistakes" but it may help you to think about how things might be arranged and how mistakes may be cleared up. Please don't interpret details of the plan as hard and fast suggestions. There are any number of different ways to approach them. It would be up to the designer (whoever that is) to work them out.

It seems to me a gable roof extension where the shed roof over the patio is now presents the best overall solution of how to extend living space and mesh it to the existing architecture. I question whether the small walk going off to the right is necessary.

I'm not showing much in the way of plantings. Those need to be worked out.

{{gwi:2117620}}

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

Lyfia did either of your plans show where to put the pool equipment pad? They are loud in use.

The pool in general and especially with the tanning shelf appear to be an attractive nuisance.

I guess there are states that allow residents to build a pool on a property without fencing.

Or would you be adding a fence? There is a temporary type available.

• lyfia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yaardvark - that is an interesting shape for the yard instead of a rectangle and I rather like the retaining wall like it as well as the pool shape.

Would be nice if we could do the attached roof, but it would have to be a later addition due to the cost and headache of completely re-framing that part of the house. Although it could use a re-work as I don't like the complexity of that part with the current connections as it seems like a potential for leaks. It is a tough one though as the chimney height may or may not be to code depending on what we do either.

The ? mark one would need to lead around the house to the driveway as people usually park in front of our garage when visiting and then come to the back instead of walking through the house. I like the arbor idea, would it be too much to do one on the driveway side? thinking it would provide some screening from the neighbors on that side.

Emmarene - the majority mentioned to put the pad below the retaining wall in the back. Only one drew it in.

What do you mean with this statement? "The pool in general and especially with the tanning shelf appear to be an attractive nuisance. " Are you saying you don't think we should build a pool (we'd use it daily in the summer), or are you saying to not add a tanning shelf? That is the area I tend to hang out in my neighbors pool while watching the kids play.

Ok here are sketches of the various layouts I've received. I'm mainly caring about placement of things and shapes right now ie hard scaping. In all the fence would be on top of the retaining wall. We are not required to have a fence around the whole pool, but placement would be nice if that is possible although we won't install one. We only need a fence to keep others out.

I'm traveling now so this is from memory and sketched in. Covered patio size is close to correct size. Pathways and pool were freehand sketched and I'm not that great at it and didn't have measurements handy. Actually what we've received didn't really have measurements on them.

I care a lot about what I will see when I look out the windows. I'd like minimal view blocking, or at least stuff you can look through or over. I'd like to at least be able to glimpse the outer yard as well.

What I like about this one. A bit of privacy from the road with hard stuff. Although landscaping could do the same in other options. Not blocking all of the view, but some
    Took equipment into account

Don't like so much that the pool is the focus and right in the middle of things and a long walk from the kitchen inside the house to bring stuff out to the eating area. Also not drawn as a diving pool, but I guess it could be made into it. Other thing is having the sitting area right outside the bedroom on the kids side seems less than ideal to me.

{{gwi:2117634}}

I like that it has diving and a shallower area and a tanning shelf, but may be too costly. Not sold on the angle of the covered area. It will likely do good covering the sun though, except in the late afternoon and evening which we would be using it then too. Couldn't do the open gables that my DH likes on the Southwest side.

{{gwi:2117635}}

This one I like the gazebo - I think it would keep the shaded areas better, but probably wastes some space. DH likes the open gable stuff though. I don't like the amount of hard surface and the pool doesn't seem right. I like the shape style, but can't really put my finger on what I don't like about it.

{{gwi:2117636}}

This one has a freestanding pavilion right next to the house with the gable next to the house closed. I like the location of it as it is nice and convenient and will guarantee we always have good shade under it. Not sold on where to put the sink though. The grill could go where we currently keep it right behind the chimney as it is out of sight from inside that way. Also not sure about the freestanding part right next to the house.

Did not like the pool. I think I've drawn it a bit wrong here, but it had this odd pinch point on the outside and I tried to do it here, but it is not exact.

{{gwi:2117637}}

After seeing Yaardvarks sketch I'm thinking I may need to see if somebody will drive out from the cities and do a design for us as I wasn't that impressed with what I got within a 60 mile radius.

Here is another pic that shows what range of the yard you see from each room. The green is from the master, The blue from dining, the purple from the other bedroom, and the red from great room French doors when sitting inside.

{{gwi:2117638}}

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

One thing you could do now is plant the trees to block the yellow house. Do some research on what will suit your area best. Get them in the ground.

I don't think adding them now would interfere with any future landscaping.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

I have a hard time accepting that framing up a simple open gable attached to the house is going to be drastically more $ (or more complex) than a completely framed up from scratch separate "building" ... unless, of course, you're going super cheap on the separate structure, such as galv. metal roof & the like. Considering that you value highly the unobstructed view from the house, I'm thinking that a roof extension to the house would be considerably more valuable to, and appreciated by, you ... certainly over the long haul. Myself, I wouldn't want a freestanding structure as the dominating focal point of the interior view UNLESS it looked quite handsome ... really handsome, which says big $$$. I suggest you feel this through in greater depth by obtaining advice on it from a competent contractor.

The reason I put the question mark at the walkway running behind the house is because it doesn't seem like two entrances to the backyard would be necessary if they are only separated by twenty-five or so feet. Obviously, I cannot see your larger, overall picture and anticipate all of your planning needs, but I would be inclined to reconfigure both of these entrances into a single one. (See example.) Another factor is that it would likely be a mistake (IMO) to run a walk too close to the house. It could severely limit foundation planting possibilities. With the walk a distance away, it wouldn't.

I would find a clean, simple pool shape to be much more appealing over a span of years.

Pool equipment could go outside the terraced area in the direction of, and behind, where you're trying to screen.

{{gwi:2117621}}

This post was edited by Yardvaark on Tue, Feb 3, 15 at 4:09

• lyfia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yardvaark, so wish I could see the image that you posted. Was traveling for work last week and just managed to get back on to this new format. Oh well guess this new change will take some time to get used to.

The quote to add a simple gable is ~30K from 2 different companies. Unfortunately it isn't as simple as it would seem due to the way the different part of the roofs interacts on the left side It is a complete redo of the roof structure in that area to add a gable. I think we could get a pretty nice gazebo/pavilion for 30K. Now I really would prefer it being attached to the house, the only reservation I have there is where to put the sink/fridge section as I don't want it blocking the view from inside. The left set of French doors is where we look out the most when sitting in the living room. The view out there is visible from all our chairs and the sofa. Ideally I'd put it up against the fire place, but there is a clean-out there I don't think we can block and I'd rather not tear up the slab there either.

Emmarene - don't think trees will do much to block the yellow house long term. Short term yes, but as they grow no as that house is lower.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

This is the picture for my previous post. Don't know the specifics of what you're having bid for a "simple gable" but imagine it could be designed to be substantially less expensive.

• lyfia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you so much yardvaark and welcome back. Actually it is a pretty simple design for the extension. The problem is how the different parts of the roof come together on the house which means a rework of the roof line to do it, not just a simple tie in or we'd be creating several collection spots for water. I'm going to have just some construction only places bid on it too.

Do you have a specific reason for not liking multiple entries like to the rear and side instead of using just one. I'm wondering since I've paid attention to how we walk to get to places and at least in our household if it isn't a convenient way to get there it won't get used the same and just be an annoyance. The play area is straight out back or a bit to the left so want access out there and we walk back and forth around the house to the garage all the time and that is where people park when visiting too.

Here is a crude sketch of the roof line part causing the cost to go up as well as there being a vaulted ceiling below so there is a load thing going on too. (Ignore the letters there, I just drew it on a scratch paper)

• PRO
    Arbordale Landscaping
    9 years ago

I would heavily consider hiring a local professional to come up with a design for your property. A designer would be able to get a better feel for the space and the flow of your exterior. Consider hiring a design/build contractor because they can integrate the design and construction services and is an economical way to go about a large scale project like this.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

I don't understand your roof sketch and what it is trying to show. Since the pictures of the property and house have disappeared, there is not much I can say about the roof at this time.

If you have entrances that are too close to one another it would seem more efficient and sensible to combine them. It's relative. I don't have knowledge of your development intentions over the long haul. Someone working on a master plan could solve this.