Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lighting a Cycas revoluta

Posted by italiandreamer none (My Page) on
Mon, Jan 21, 13 at 17:59

Hello
I'm writing this post to get an advice regarding lighting a cycas revoluta.
I'm undecided on what kind of light to use to get the best visual effect.
Is it better to use one (or even 2) in-ground light fixtures located under the cycas or maybe it's better to use a garden spot light fixture?
What do you think?
thanks for sharing your opinions

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lighting a Cycas revoluta

When faced with a problem such as this, usually I'd take a "shop light" (with light shielded at one side and directed from the opposite) outside at night and experiment to see what effects can result. It can usually be determined how to cause the best effects.

o
RE: Lighting a Cycas revoluta

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Wed, Jan 23, 13 at 12:41

The size of the plant matters, and so does the location of the plant and garden context. Uplighting in general works best to feature such sculptural accents, but not as well if they are still small with not much to uplight. Also, poorly placed uplights can cause glare and/or not coordinate with an overall lighting scheme. An overhead flood light tends to light an area as opposed to accent details, a spot could work. With bold foliage forms placed in front of walls or fences, lighting the backdrop surface to silhouette the dark plant form, or to throw a shadow on a wall is another useful approach. So I'd say there's not enough info given for a yes/no type of answer. I'd suggest going to your local library and see if they have any of the Orthodox or Sunset How-to books on the subject to see the possibilities.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here