Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hsob

Working with a foundation hedge

HSob
9 years ago

Hi folks,

I'm looking for suggestions or resources you can point me towards.

I have four yew forming a foundation hedge (zone 4; deep, open shade). For various reasons, I want to keep the hedge; however, I'm not in love with how formal it looks. Any suggestions for working a foundation hedge into a more casual design? I'm open to either specific or general thoughts.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (6)

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    9 years ago

why is learning how to prune a conifer ... a landscape issue????

you might want to try the conifer forum ... and include some pix ...

good luck

ken

• HSob
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I didn't say anything about pruning them. I'm looking for suggestions about designing around them: as this is the landscape and design forum, I believe this query belongs here.

As to a picture, I'm afraid that most of us Zone 4ers are under a bit of snow.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

You didn't say, but one presumes that as a foundation hedge there isn't unlimited room for growth, and pruning will determine much of the "look." Most people end up shearing several times a year in order to keep it the size they want, but it results in a tight, hard appearance (which I'm not denigrating.) An alternative method with a more informal look is a once-per-year hard trim. When done just before the spring flush of growth, the absence of foliage will be short lived and its return will be well arranged, moderately loose and full. (It may take a couple of years before it gets nice and full. The trim must be hard because you have to deduct the height of all the returning foliage ... which is usually more than people expect. Also, a rolled top surface (like quarter-round profile) is going to look less formal than a flat and square clipped hedge.

If you're wanting to know what can be added around the hedge, pictures will be needed.

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

How close to the house is the hedge?

• lyfia
    9 years ago

You could also try a Google image search to see if you can get any inspiration.

• Bruce_Quint
    9 years ago

If the area in front of the yew hedge is also partially shaded there are many plants you can use.

We have run into this often in older homes. Most of the time, given a shade to partially shaded location, we use a combination of blue, yellow, or variegated hostas and then purple or caramel colored coral bells. Both of these give season round color that goes well with the dark green of the yews and helps break up the finer texture of the yews with their coarser textures. It may not be the most original but for shade plants where I am they are good performers. Japanese painted fern would also do well for you given the right soil conditions (Ghost fern is also great). You need to use them in quantities large enough to get the full impact of their color.

If the sight is bright enough for full sun perennials and shrubs then your options expand greatly and you can use just about anything. I like textures than contrast with one another but you could also use very fine textured plants with good success so long as the color was different.

If you are looking for shade plants with great flowers I would just about say go with annuals rather than perennials as they give such a long bloom time even in zone 4.