Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whaas_5a

Landscape Lighting

whaas_5a
11 years ago

I recently installed daylight CFLs outside and they definitely illuminate the landscaping around the patio and garage.

Right now the bright white light which has a slight blue hue looks very crisp and modern and goes well with the house.

Although I'm not sure if I like it because its winter and there is snow on the ground or if its just "different" compared to all the incandescent looking lighting around the area.

If choosing between the crisp white light and the softer light with a yellow hue which would you go for season long and why?

I asked three other people and they all gave the same answer. I think I like but not sure, it looks more modern.

At the end of the day I think I'm chosing either the white light to highlight the house or the warm light to highlight the plants.

Comments (8)

• marcinde
    11 years ago

You might just be the only person I've ever heard of who prefers that cool spectrum light. Generally when I'm suggesting a client go with LED fixtures vs. halogen, I have to convince them we can lamp them with something that will be a warm light.

As for my personal preference? Warm. I didn't pay attention to the CFL I bought for my porch light, and it's a cool one. From inside it looks like a European luxury car with HID headlights is parked in my front yard and lighting up the porch. From down the street, a neighbor commented that we have a very Close Encounter of the Third Kind thing going on. Oh well, the last CFL porchlight only lasted seven years...

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the comments. My other half purchased daylight on a mistake so I figured I try them as I've never tried them outside. I actually think the daylight CFLs look horrendous indoors for any application. Outdoors I'm still undecided.

I have a car with HID headlights and they do look like that!

• leenamark
    11 years ago

Lighting is one of the most important aspects of landscaping. Proper outdoor lighting allows you to highlight focal points of your landscape. It is more than just shining any light.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    11 years ago

In answering the initial question you can call me old school but I'm definitely for light that looks Norman Rockwell approved. The CFL's and some of the LED's seem, to me, like they belong on an icy planet in a scifi movie. By the same token, I could see them for a specific, artistic use where something "chilly" looking is called for. But not for most average "scapes."

• Nh320
    11 years ago

I agree with the post above � if you are going to use landscape lighting, you need to plan it properly. Some like to focus on plants in the middle of the yard or even some choose to shine light onto the house. It depends on the type of effect you are trying to achieve.

Here is a link that might be useful: Landscaping

• whaas_5a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the additional comments. I think my liking for this bright white was temporary. If I end up using more lighting in the yard I would never use that bright white light on the plants. I think I just like the way it lit up the house, perhaps the winter snow made me temporarily biased.

• marcinde
    11 years ago

I kind of like the idea of changing lighting effects for the seasons! Not the weirdest idea, they make blue filters.

• paulinegriffin
    11 years ago

I'll go with the softer light with a yellow hue, well I think the softer lights are ideal to use outdoors for landscaping purposes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Castlerock Landscape

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!