Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joe_fristoe

Ferns did not survive ready to redesign small porch bed

Bama_Joe
9 years ago

I had planted two sets of 3 Holly Ferns and didn't realize they were only 10-20 degree plants (better said, I didn't know any better this past Spring. The landscaper I hired threw my Sasanqua Cleopatra in the small bed (end near my driveway) then planted four new soft touch hollies (is it more or do even numbers of shrubs like this just look out of place?) and then planted 3 holly ferns at the end (doorway end) of the porch bed and the other 3 straight across the other side of the doorway walk in the new large bed.

Since the Sasanqua will be too big, the hollies just don't look right to me and the ferns died, I will be changing things out this Spring. Encore azaleas straight ahead (autumn twist beside watnong japanese maple in the background, chiffon as well and purple pixie weeping lorapetalum wrapping around the sidewalk. Any suggestions on replacement of the ferns and small bed? This is north side of the house and as such, is a mostly shaded area. The ferns were very happy over summer btw.

Comments (10)

• Bama_Joe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Pic of the area facing South, with small Bloodgood and drift roses.

• josephene_gw
    9 years ago

Aren't there lots of native ferns in your area especially around the
    Bankhead Nat Forrest?
    Maybe the tall liriopes, they are evergreen too.
    Josephene

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    9 years ago

The curves at the far end of the bed in the first picture have no relation to the house or the rest of the beds. It looks bizarre. Perhaps you need a new landscaper.

• Bama_Joe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Josephine - I'm sure there are, but that is a National Forest and protected. My understanding is not even a rock can be moved. I know of issues where people living on the border were threatened by the Park Rangers when they moved some rocks for lake access and had to put them back.

Lacey - Would you mind sharing your thoughts on how you would envision the bed's design? I thought it looked good myself. The first curve is where the first bedroom window is, curving back towards the house in front of the room apex and where the Watnong Japanese Maple is, then curves back out in front of the next bedroom windows and around the Holly , with Little Bonnie Spireas around the edge of that curve, following the side of the house, starting with 3 Rosecreek abelias, then 6 Encore azaleas, ending with a small curve at the corner of the house and privacy fence, where mu Limelight Hydrangea is.

Always open to suggestions, as who wouldn't want it to look better. Thanks all!

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

Same thing hit me as laceyvail, that the bed lines could use reconfiguring. Suggestion follows. I don't think josephene was recommending you pilfer ferns from the national forest, but just stating what grows there so consider using some of the same types.

{{gwi:2117670}}

• Bama_Joe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Yaardvark! Looks like the Bloodgood bed stays pretty much the same (a hair larger and a better curve?), with the large bed having a single curve, coming out wider than it currently is. Also, around the Holly are the little Bonnie's, so move the Purple Pixies in front of them (if they should stay in the bed), in the added space in front of the larger corner?

I see what you mean. It looks better with your preview.

• josephene_gw
    9 years ago

i did not mean dig ferns in the nat forest just that there are many
    Evergreen ferns that are native to your area. Doesn't Huntsville
    Have a park of some kind that has native plants?
    Bama Joe you have a very attractive home.
    How is your puppy?
    Hope he is doing better.
    Josephene

• Bama_Joe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Josephene - I understand what you mean now. I really should make a trip to the Huntsville Botanical Gardens. It's not far from work, wish I had time to take a long lunch just looking there. Will have to drive up on the weekend, still only 30 minutes or so. I talked to them and they are supposed to have a nice Camellia area as well.

Speaking of Asian gardening, I emailed my landscaper and told him to remove the Yoshino, just take it away. They do look absolutely gorgeous for 2 to 3 weeks of the year, but those leaves are ugly. When I moved in there were two large yoshinos in the back corners of the yard. I cut one down and the other I am killing as we speak. Talk about surface roots. I want something I can throw some camellias under one day, that and not have to worry about all the diseases cherry trees have.

Duke is doing great, thanks for asking! His Lupus is under control, thankfully. As a matter of fact, I think he deserves some frisbee time this weekend. Supposed to warm up to 60 on Sunday, so maybe we can catch a rain break.

I see you are moving to zone 7 or 8. Which part of the country are you moving to?

• josephene_gw
    9 years ago

Looking to buy a home on one of the lakes there in N AL, like Smith lake
    But considering Weiss and Wedowee. Husband wants to sit in the dock
    And fish.
    Been reading everything I could find on N Al, grew up in Greenville,Al
    Have family all over the state.
    We have dogs too. Lulu ,a basset, has distemper. She has been with us for
    More than 4 years, not contagious any more but she is on meds because
    the distemper affected her brain. Just put her on another med which makes
    Her feel better. She is a happy dog though.
    Camellias, love them.
    Josephene

• Bama_Joe
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lewis Smith Lake is supposed to be the cleanest lake in the nation (or so BASS said on ESPN). It is a truly awesome place, with the mountains making tornadoes and storms just pass high above. Some places you can walk off the bank and it just drops straight down, very deep. If I recall, e deepest part of the lake are over 300 feet. In the summer, you can fish thermoclines for saltwater Striper, or float balloons with live bream under the dock lights at night. Great fishing for Largemouth, Saltwater Striper and pretty much everything else. That place is VERY relaxing.