Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amks_gw

Privacy for small yard, with an added twist

amks
9 years ago

My husband and I bought our home last year when we were the only house built in the neighborhood. We made the offer before the lawn was sodded, so we didn't really understand how small our backyard really is. Now, we have neighbors behind us who have built and moved into their house and it's driving us crazy! The house is built really close to our property and their deck is probably 10 feet from our fence. We are desperate for some privacy hedges, since the neighbors don't and apparently won't be installing curtains. It's so awkward to sit down to dinner and have our curtains open to enjoy the sunset only to look out and see them sitting at their kitchen table staring back at us.

I had originally planned on planting some skyrocket juniper along the back of our yard in front of the fence, since we need more height than just 9 or 10 feet to block out the neighbors.

But, we have the fiber optic internet line that runs though our backyard and apparently we can't plant anything within 18 inches of that line. We have a fence along our property, so basically our yard consists of a fence, 18 inches and then there's the line that's buried, and then we can't plant anything until we go an additional 18 inches in. I think that planting a line of hedges 3 feet in is going to look pretty stupid, but maybe not? We have a pretty tiny yard so we don't want a hedge that's going to be 5-6 wide in diameter, which would make our yard that much smaller.

The other issue is that we have an electric box in our yard and we can't plant anything in front or on the sides of the box, yet because of where the cable is buried behind it, we won't be able to plant anything there, yet that is the exact area that we need a privacy hedge to screen out the neighbors from view.

One idea we had was to put down some pavers and build some containers on wheels to hold tall hedges/shrubs so we would be able to move them if the internet people ever decide they need to access the line and we don't be actually planting on top of the buried lines. But will a tall tree like the skyrocket juniper even grow in a container like that?

Sorry this is so long, I am just very fed up with this situation and am about ready to move again to have some privacy!

Comments (6)

• bahia
    9 years ago

Would you consider rerouting the line through your backyard to allow planting where you want to plant? Should be easy enough to do.

• bahia
    9 years ago

Would you consider rerouting the line through your backyard to allow planting where you want to plant? Should be easy enough to do.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    9 years ago

show the overall space in pictures.

• Bruce_Quint
    9 years ago

What part of Iowa are you in and are there a lot of deer around?

My first thought for a thin upright conifer that won't get too big (or can be kept trimmed) in Iowa is Thuja occidentalis 'Jantar'- has really nice foliage throughout the year and will end up 3-4' wide eventually. Foliage on the new growth is literally outstanding. Deer will munch on them if they are prevalent in your area. Another arborvitae that is very fast growing that would work is Hetz Wintergreen. It is a true deep green all year but (in time) will end up wider that you might want. Only other evergreen option I thought of was Picea glauca 'Pendula'.

You won't find much else that stays thin and tall unless you were to go for something like an upright deciduous tree (Skinny Genes Oak or Kindred Spirit Oak- both will end up a little wide though) or ornamental trees like Standing Ovation Serviceberry or Parkland Pillar Birch. 9-10 feet will take a few years in either case.

I would avoid Skyrocket Juniper at all costs unless it is a very open, well-drained site. Most Skyrockets last about 5-7 years and then end up diseased and dead. Occasionally we've had luck with one or two making it but overall Iowa is not the place for Skyrocket.

Pictures of the site would be very helpful.

• beesneeds
    9 years ago

Maybe go with the container route... but change your ideas of what to plant in them?
    Like put in tall trellises and plant in various climbing flowers in the containers? There's tons of various climbing flowers that can look pretty and provide screening. Or maybe bamboo?

Or could you put up an extension of privacy screening to the top of your current fence?

• catkim
    9 years ago

Have you had a cordial conversation with your neighbors about the views?

I don't quite understand how you can see each other out your windows, across your backyard, over the fence, then 10 feet to their deck, and into their dining room. How tall is the fence? Is their property at higher elevation than yours?

About conversation, it sounds like they may have more planting room than you. Maybe they have plans to plant something so they don't have to look at you staring at them. Maybe they haven't got around to it yet, since they moved in recently. The only way to find out is to take over some cookies and talk about how close your houses are in a friendly, non-confrontational way.

Sponsored
Velero Deck Designs
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
Loudoun County's Source for High-End Custom Decks & Outdoor Structures