Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what is this huge piece of concrete in my back yard?

Posted by purplemage z8 (purplemage@sbcglobal.net) on
Sun, Jan 16, 11 at 20:57

Just moved into a home built in '77 and there is a round concrete platform in the middle of the back yard. I'm located in southern arizona in a country club estates. I don't know what it is for. I have had several guesses and one hope... It is 10ft diameter and has 6 bolts sticking up around the circumference. It also has a small PVC pipe sticking up near the edge. I can push a rod down about 12" into the pipe, then it seems to run into a clog or something. I will try to post pictures. Until then, all input welcome.

1)spa platform
2)gazebo platform
3)water collection cistern

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what is this? pics included

ok, here are pics..

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

o
RE: what is this huge piece of concrete in my back yard?

• Posted by manda3 8a DFW Texas (My Page) on
    Sun, Jan 16, 11 at 21:40

Is it a capped well?

o
RE: what is this huge piece of concrete in my back yard?

The bolts seem to indicate something was once attached there: hot tub or gazebo seem most likely.

There's only one pipe, so that seems more likely to be electrical rather than plumbing, and therefore a gazebo rather than a hot tub. Have you tried shining a strong flashlight down the pipe, and if so, what do you see? Anything that might be wiring? The "clog" a foot down is probably simply a bend in the pipe.

Just to rule some things out: Are you on sewer or septic? Are you on municipal water, or do you have your own well?

Did you ask the realtor what it is?

Have you asked the neighbors? (Not simply the neighbors on either side of your property, but people in the neighborhood who might have lived there for 15 years or more, particularly if they were close friends of the people who lived in your house.) If you're adjacent to any of the country club facilities, you might ask them also.

But in the meantime, I vote for the ghost of a long-gone gazebo.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here