Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
superkaz661_gw

Would love some suggestions for Fenceline garden

superkaz661
13 years ago

Hey all-

Im currently living in a rental house in Northern Virginia, and need some suggestions as to how to plant the fenceline garden at the rear of the house. The garden itself is about 35 feet wide by around 3 feet deep.

Unfortunately, the garden is in fairly heavy shade (it gets a lot of indirect light as the canopy above is high--but maybe an hour at best of dappled light in the sumer). I say this is unfortunate as Im a color freak.

If possible, I'd like to do a simple 2 tier. For the front, I'm thinking that I'll probably do impatiens of begonias, but I'll have quite a few impatiens around the rest of the yard, so I'll maybe do the latter.

I'm really in need of something fairly tall that I can use for the rear tier. The neighbor behind doesn't take terribly good care of his yard, so anything that can at least block some of the "view" is welcome. I was thinking of a fragrant tobacco, but I dont know if they will do well in this amount of shade. Ive never tried them before, but I sure do like the idea of a tall, fragrant, full season bloomer.

Anyone else have some ideas?

The two last caveats are, as it is a rental property, Im likely looking for annuals, as I haven't the time to wait for anything to mature. And lastly, again as a rental, I cant plop down a sizeable amount of change on tubers or pre-grown plants. Seeds would be my first choice.

Can anyone thread the shady, inexpensive, colorful, fragrant, fast maturing needle? :)

Comments (2)