Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
small backyard play area ideas needed

Posted by M_N_A (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 14, 14 at 0:15

Our backyard is rather small, about 80' wide and 20' deep
in the center 35' or so we plan to have patio for outdoor dining and entertaining, on one side about 30' we plan to have some plant.

And on the other side about 15' x 20', right outside of the kitchen window, we plan to make it a small play area for our toddler.

What would be a good idea
- play structure. but they're usually much bigger. is there some compact ones?
- sand box. our girl loves sand but someone just said that cats and animals might come and do some business. yikes. plus, sands always gets everywhere, even our car is full of sand despite all shaking and patting
- trampoline. how long would kids love it?

and what kind of surface would be kid and wallet friendly and low maintenance? mulch, shredded rubber, artificial grass, grass...?

thanks for your suggestions

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: small backyard play area ideas needed

I would probably put grass. Your toddler's needs and size will change quite rapidly. Here is just an example I googled and I bet you could find something like this used on ebay or at a yard sale. http://climbersforkids.net/little-tikes-hide-slide-climber-review/ I like this one because the kid can make a house underneath. Kids are happy even with a big cardboard box! A little play lawnmower or baby stroller, a basketball goal or just a rubber ball. You could still have a small raised sand container, as long as it has a lid to keep the cats out. Your toddler could shovel it around or hide little toys in the sand. Of course in warm weather there is also the little toddler pools and give him/her some plastic dishes and spoons. That is hours of fun! Don't forget the sunscreen! Grass would work for all of this. Have fun!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here