Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mac Design Software - NOT Punch

Posted by arbol (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 22, 10 at 1:17

Hello everyone,

Not too long ago, I found some amazing looking Mac landscape design software that also did pools. However, it's completely slipped my mind. I know it's not Punch.

Anyone have any ideas?

THANKS!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mac Design Software - NOT Punch

I found it. It was this:
http://www.ideaspectrum.com/comparison.php

It's not for Mac though - and it honestly doesn't look that great.

SO let me pose another question. Across ALL software packages, is anyone seriously planning patios, backyards, pools, etc with software. It all seems to be garbage that crashes (Punch).

People love SketchUp I hear - but that seems to have quite the steep learning curve. I also wonder how much I can do with the free version as opposed to spending $500.

o
RE: Mac Design Software - NOT Punch

When Google first acquired SketchUp from AtLast Software, they made the free version for home use only, to try and smooth things over with us pro users who spent $500 on it. We all know how well the honor system works with software EULAs, so now you ARE licensed to use the free version for commercial purposes.

There are two major differences between Google SU (Free) and SketchUp Pro. The first is that Pro comes with Layout, which is an add-on that allows you to present drawings to scale, with title blocks. The second is that the Pro version allows you to export to multiple file formats, which is necessary if you're going to do post-processing renders with programs like Vue or Kerkythea.

I had the pro version at my old job because we bought it back when you had to pay for it. Now that I'm on my own, I use the free version. Works fine for what I do.

If you have CAD experience, or even solid graphics program experience, I would think you'll pick up SketchUp pretty quickly. I love it for working out construction details on trellis and pergolas (pergolae?). It's lousy for 2D drafting, though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here