Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How far apart to plant trees/climbing rose

Posted by homeownermv 10 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 23, 12 at 3:36

I suspect that my landscaper may be planting 2 carolina laurel cherry trees too close together (see photo below). Note the drip system plumbing to the right of the trees, which is why he has to bunch them together closer than the design called for. Would this be a problem and should I ask him to move them further apart?

Also, this is causing the 2 trees to be really far from the climbing lady banks rose to the right (the skinny stake against the fence, about 15 feet to the right of the trees. Should I try to fill the void in-between or leave it for the lady banks rose to fill up? I had read that the rose can take over quite a large area, but not sure if it will cover the size of the space that's currently empty.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How far apart to plant trees/climbing rose

I'm taking license and guessing what paving does to the left off the picture. What I'm trying to illustrate in the sketch is placing the two cherry laurels, balanced (and centered as a group) in the bed space created by the paving. A plan view that accurately shows the pipe location would be useful. If the irrigation pipe is still exposed as shown in the picture, I'd move it as necessary... rather than plant the most major component of the landscape unbalanced and off center. If the pipe can't be moved then I'd try to fudge things as close to correct as I could get them. Can't see how the pipe lies in plan view, but c. laurels might work out in front of it. (Would need to see plan view to know.) Keep in mind that these plants are trees & will get big, unless you keep them rigorously sheared. If you don't, you'll need to limb them up to keep them from eating up the patio space. If they're limbed up as they grow so canopy is overhead, they could be closer to the walk without being in the way.

Unless you plan to let the Lady Banks heap over the top edge of the fence, I can't really see how it's going to fit in that spot. It's a big, huge heaping thing. Think half the size of a car.

o
RE: How far apart to plant trees/climbing rose

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 23, 12 at 19:01

It looks like you're in California? The Prunus are usually kept as sheared hedges rather than allowed to grow as trees here, so your intended end size will determine whether you want them grouped tightly or spread out. I don't know whether your irrigation is using flex drip tubing above grade or fixed bubblers, but shifting the irrigation to work with a wider spacing is simple enough to do regardless of the irrigation system design. That banksia rose could easily cover the entire length of your rear fence with time, but providing some horizontal parallel galvanized wires about a foot apart all across the portion of the fence you want covered will make it easier to train it to do so. Without some training, the rose will want to maximize growth and bloom at the top of the fence and also grow out away from the fence into the garden area. At least with this rose, it is nearly impossible to prune it wrong; it will still grow and bloom regardless unless you over-prune right before its spring bloom.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here