Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unorthodox Retainer Wall

Posted by Dexter24 6 (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 20, 13 at 7:30

I think this short, retainer wall looks pretty neat. However, the OCD part of me is irritated because it was not done the correct way.

What do you think of it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unorthodox Retainer Wall

Well, since you asked...

The block looks cheap and the lack of a wall cap makes it look cheaper. The way the wall is built, with blocks alternating direction, shows that there is a "good" side (the split face side) and a back side (the smooth side with the groove). The reason the manufacturer makes the back side like that is that it's never meant to see the light of day. Yes, facing all the fronts forward would leave wedge-shaped gaps between each block, which is why you would a) use a different block, b) use a block splitter to cut them, or c) use a wall cap to hide the gaps. And the wings of the wall aren't even remotely level and it looks like the wall is falling apart there. Beyond that, I don't get why it's there. It's hard to judge the scale of the blocks, but at most it's an 8-12" wall. If the blocks weren't there, another yard of topsoil could be used to grade out the bed and then there'd be more planting space.

o

Thanks for the detailed response.

The neighbor's property begins right where the wall ends.

o

When I see things like this, I counsel that they should be removed. A sloping grade (if possible ... I can't see outside of the picture) would look SOOOOO much cleaner. These type things look junky to me.

o

If I could give my two cents... I would remove the concrete blocks. Maybe consider dry stack basalt rocks (half man size). Or, if you are not committed to the retaining wall just let it gently slope.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here