Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gmagic911x

Landscape Suggestions

gmagic911x
12 years ago

We don't know what to plant at the front of our home or how it should be arranged. The area is 12 ft. x 7 ft. It only receives morning sun. We were thinking about some Firepower and Harbor Belle Nandinas since they don't grow so tall.

Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Here is a link that might be useful: http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2vty7g5&s=5

Comments (22)

• catkim
    12 years ago

Sorry, can't see your photo.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    12 years ago

clicking on the link you provided only takes one to the "upload" page of Tinypic. It's better to post the picture right here. To do that, go to where the picture is on Tinypic. Look around for options that are probably hidden under the word "share," or something like that. There, find the html code for the picture (there may be different options for different sizes.) Copy the code and paste it into your message here. When you preview your message, the picture will show up if right code it used. Good luck.

• gmagic911x
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, finally figured out how to post the picture!

{{gwi:9349}}

• catkim
    12 years ago

Sorry, can't see your photo.

• catkim
    12 years ago

Oops, I refreshed my idle computer and it reposted -- I can see the photo perfectly. :-)

• duluthinbloomz4
    12 years ago

Without any real context - like photographing from farther back so we can see the whole picture rather than an empty 12'x7' space - it's a bit difficult to offer much.

Did you see the thread (deja vu all over again) a few below yours entitled How to embrace this little hellstrip?

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    12 years ago

I will offer a simple solution and maybe someone else will offer something more complex, if that suits your taste. I'd put a single plant (fill the bed, not just a row at edge) that is groundcover or perennial below the window so there's no height trimming whatsoever. Liriope comes to mind. But it could be a flowering perennial (about 18" height) instead. Then I'd put annuals--whatever you like of whatever color--next to the doorway. (If you have a similar spot on other side of doorway, maybe match annuals over there.)

{{gwi:9350}}

• duluthinbloomz4
    12 years ago

Liriope spicata spreads SO aggressively by runners, it'll go below cement and come back up on the other side.

Liriope muscari is the "clumping" kind that does not spread by runners and basically stays where you put it.

The whole idea of clumpy grassy has a place - like the hell strip between sidewalk and street. That being said, nice in bloom but otherwise loads of flopping strappy leaves. In fact, sort of like that flattened thing close to the sidewalk on the right of your picture.

Perhaps a small shrub to the very left; gumpo azaleas stay small. One of the small spirea specimens. But, as annuals were mentioned, you might get more for your plant buck with those. There's no major commitment and they'd be a good place holder until a more permanent scheme is developed.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    12 years ago

"like that flattened thing close to the sidewalk on the right of your picture. That flattened thing looks like a newly installed plant in it's "end of winter" stage. Usually, Liriope muscari, once established, stands up tall under all kinds of abuse so has a very long season of looking good. While Liriope spicata does spread rampantly, I never use is so kind of forget about it. Glad, Duluth... you made the distinction.

• pbl_ge
    12 years ago

{{gwi:9351}}

I'm not one of the experts here, but I don't think I'd do much to that teeny area without considering this bigger picture. Others' suggestions about fairly straightforward shrubs or simple perennials seem to fit the bill. You might want to consider what it would look like to have the one type of shrub (Euonymous? Can't tell from pic) to the right, the lonely guy on the left side of the house, and then something entirely different in the middle near the door.

• gmagic911x
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The lonely guy on the left side is a Holly as well as the one on the far left. Quince is under the windows. Knock Out roses are on the far right and next to the Holly on the left. In the first picture, the "flattened thing" is Lirope. Behind it is Varigated Pittosporum.

• tanowicki
    12 years ago

Oooh, that photo pbl_ge posted is going to get all kind of suggestions about moving your beds further into the yard. Especially the one in front of the garage.

For me, that little space is so small and right in the middle of that little bed that I would just continue whatever shrubs you have going on to the right and just having it be a green line. Unless you want to pull out the shrubs and start that whole thing over again.

• bahia
    12 years ago

I think a double staggered row of one of the dwarf cultivar Nandina's would work well in this spot, and the foliage texture would contrast nicely with the adjacent Pittosporum. I'd also suggest that adding a foreground lower accent such as Ajuga or Vinca minor, perhaps with smaller spring flowering bulbs such as Crocus or Muscari or Lycoris could give additional seasonal interest. I could also see a contrasting mass of evergreen ferns or another smaller arching small shrub in this spot. You might also consider using something with seasonal fragrance in this spot, I don't know if things like Trachelospermum jasminoides or Daphne odors are fully winter hardy in your area, but along those lines. Winter blooming perennials such as Hellebores or Bergenia might also interest you.

• timbu
    12 years ago

Nandinas sound good, but I would add a couple different hostas and a hellebore, or some other bigleaf for contrast - if we're only talking this small spot. (The first pic looked like this was your only patch of ground).
    Looking at the big picture, I see yet another "eyes and nose" effect, with windows being the eyes and the evergreen shrub taking the role of a nose. I suggest you take the shrub out, and treat the front yard as a blank space.

• gmagic911x
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Blank space? Please elaborate. There are also 3 ornamental grass plants that grow about 2-1/2 ft. tall in front of the "nose". What if I moved the "nose" to the right corner of the house since there is a Holly at the left corner?

• pls8xx
    12 years ago

When I saw the first photo I couldn't help but notice the near white of the walk from the driveway up to the entrance.

Seeing the big picture, my first though was on how appealing the house was with the balanced blend of brick, white, and black in just the right proportions. Then I looked again at the white walk at the entrance. With the distant view it looks like an underscore for the front door. Merely from a visual standpoint, I keep wanting to extend that white underscore across the house.

{{gwi:9352}}

• timbu
    12 years ago

What a great nose, it can even be moved! I think moving to the right corner is a good idea if the shrub survives - but give it space, I'd say 6-8 ft from the corner towards the street and a little to the right (there's a white pole in the bigger picture, is that on the lot line? This would be just next to the shrub then)
    By "blank space" I mean, imagine the narrow planting strip under the "eyes" isn't there and you're starting from zero, drawing new lines on the ground.

• gmagic911x
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Completed project consists of a staggered row with 3 Dwarf Gardenias, 2 Firepower Nandinas and a border with 8 Hellebores. Pine straw is next. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.

• gmagic911x
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Landscape project

• gmagic911x
    Original Author
    12 years ago

{{gwi:9353}}

• gmagic911x
    Original Author
    12 years ago

{{gwi:9354}}

Where the arrows are, we're adding 5 Sky Pencil Hollies (10 total) on the sides of our patio/screened porch area for privacy. I also bought 6 more to put 3 at each of the corners of the house (question marks) to sort of bring it all together. Before I do the shovel work, I'd like a 2nd opinion about putting the 3 at each corner or any other suggestions.