Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
landscapenewb

Tree Selection for front of house

landscapenewb
14 years ago

Hey all,

I am building a 2 story house here in Ohio. The neighborhood requires that I put in basic landscaping within the first 3 months, so I'm trying to get a jump on that during this construction phase.

http://resources.newhomesource.com/Images/Homes/NVR/large_5300394.jpg

This is what the house will look like except with different colors, NO bay window, and a front-entry garage.

I am looking for a tree for the corner of the house (about 20-25' away) that will balance with the large peaks in the house's roofline and also soften the side of the house. I REALLY LOVE birch trees, but have been discouraged from using them by some of my coworkers. The concerns were that they invite many pests, the trunks will split, and the roots will tear through my foundation and yard.

What are your thoughts on this?? Is a River Birch better than most to overcome these problems? Is there an alternative to a Birch tree that still has the same silhouette (I don't like "lollipop" trees)?

I am planning to plant a PaperBark Maple tree on the garage side of the house closer to the road. But I wanted a more spreading shape for the Birch side of the house.

Comments (2)