Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best hedge bushes/shrubs for privacy

Posted by MeanNgreen myrtle beach (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 25, 14 at 10:44

Hello all
This community has always been great so figured I would reach out..we just had a home built on a quarter acre lot and are about to put a fence in the back. I want to put some bushes on the inside of the fence for extra privacy. Our HOA only allows four foot fences with big spaces between the pickets so was hoping to add extra privacy with the bushes being higher and fuller than fence. Any ideas..

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best hedge bushes/shrubs for privacy

If you place a shrub close to a fence, what usually happens is that where the shrub and fence are in contact, the shrub is difficult to maintain (trim.) How it goes is that the shrub ends up growing through the pickets and being trimmed on the outside of the fence. Personally, I don't care for this look. I think it would be better to use a small tree form that is separated from the fence. Under the tree plant perennials of some sort that don't require trimming (ok for them to grow through the fence. Or, if solid screening is desired, a small distance away from the fence, place a trellis that can be covered with a vine. If you want to do the shrub, large or small, keep it an appropriate distance away from the fence.

o

• Posted by SC77 6b (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 25, 14 at 20:45

There are lots of great hedges or trees to choose from, but you have to provide more detail. I believe your zone is 8a? What are the conditions? How much sun? Are deer a problem? Do you want something evergreen? How high do you plan to keep the hedge, and will you keep it trimmed formally or informal. How quickly are you looking to obtain privacy?

o

Mean,
Pittosporum.
Not the dwarf type.
You have sand, and salt spray.
Go to any big box store or nursery where you are, I guarantee they have them.
Water them real good the first year.
They are hardy shrubs, love sun or part shade.
They get pretty white fragrant orange smelling flowers in the spring, then you can prune them after they bloom any way you want, or let them grow.
I have 5 dark green, and 1 variegated, which grew bigger then the dark green.
After the first couple of years, after they settle in and get established, you won't really have to water them that much any more. They are very drought resistant, and evergreen.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here