Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tarado_gw

Patio ideas for a boring backyard

TARado
11 years ago

So my wife and I have owned our first house for a few years now, and one thing that we've been dying to do is add a patio to the backyard. We have some money saved up to do this, but we really have no idea where to start.

The back of our house is completely flat and opens to a large rectangle yard facing a lake and some woods beyond it. We would love to add something back there to make it both more accessible and less boring, but we really have no idea what to put there.

Currently there is a single slinging glass door in the dead center of the house that opens to the backyard, with only a small 3x3 concrete block right outside the door. The patio would naturally be out there.

I know that isn't a ton of detail, but any help would be nice. Even links to ideas or pictures would be helpful. Looking online I seem to find only a ton of ideas for patios on the corners of houses rather than in the middle of a flat house.

Thanks all!!

Comments (5)

• frankielynnsie
    11 years ago

Some pictures form the sliding door to the lake, the lake to the house and from the side of the yard might stir up some responses. Sunset books give many good ideas and can be found at the library or Home Depot/Lowes.

• shaxhome (Frog Rock, Australia 9b)
    11 years ago

Maybe something here that you like?

Here is a link that might be useful: Patios

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    11 years ago

I agree that adding photos will help immensely. Also, what do you want to do with your patio, and what direction does it face? For example, if you want to eat supper out there and it is west facing, you will want some shade to make it useable. How you plan to use it will influence other factors such as size, materials, etc.

In the meantime, here is a link with lots of photos of designer patios. Look at them less as a blueprint than with an eye toward what appeals to you:
    Do you like a simple symmetrical shape or irregular?
    What materials do you like?
    Do you like them raised or level with the ground?
    Will you be planting around it and if so, generally what types of plantings appeal to you?
    Do you like structures such as walls or trellises, or do you want it more open?
    What do you need room for: a couple of chairs, a large dining table, a fire pit of some kind, etc?

Are you planning yours as a DIY and if so, how much experience do you have, and how much work do you want to take on? For instance, what looks flat may not in fact actually be flat and so may require some evaluation and leveling as well as being sure that precipitation will move away from the house and not toward it.

A zone or general area where you live will help also, since some choices will depend on whether or not you need to worry about freezing temperatures, snow removal, huge amounts of rain, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Houzz patios[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/patio-ideas-phbr0-bp~t_725)

• katew1
    11 years ago

We recently got our backyard done by Sprinklerman Cove Landscape. the company has done a tremendous job. Out patio looks so beautiful now. Here is an image.

• QQueen
    10 years ago

There so many ways to transform your boring patio without spending much money. Some of the things that you need to decide on is how you intend to use that patio, the kind of money you are willing to spend on the remodeling and your overall environment. You can even install an outdoor kitchen or fireplace in the area. I wish you uploaded a photo so that we know exactly what you are looking for. I know of a company called Katypatio that handles all the designing work. you can go through their photo gallery here to get some ideas or visit their homepage to find out if they can offer you any design assistance.

Here is a link that might be useful: Katy Outdoor Patio