Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
glinda919

Please help hide an obtrusive shed.

glinda919
13 years ago

My neighbor built a 12-13 foot tall shed about 10 feet from my kitchen window. We are separated by a concrete driveway. I'm thinking of getting a couple of trough planters (and casters) to put on the driveway to block the sight of the shed. Any ideas of where to get the trough planters and what types of plantings to use? Bamboo? Trees? I'm in northern Virginia, zone 7.

Comments (4)

• nandina
    13 years ago

Three thoughts for you to chew on...
    1. Most communities have a set back designation along lot lines between properties where nothing can be built. You should check with your city/town/county building department to see if the neighbor's shed meets code.

2. Following up on your thought of trough planters which should be large enough to grow tall evergreens. Sounds like a custom or DIY building project for desired result. Because you are planning to place these planters in a driveway your best evergreen choice would be Fragrant Tea Olive (Osmanthus fragrans). I suggest this because it grows well in containers and endures side shearing which would be necessary to keep it growing upright, tight and not splaying into driveway path. A fast grower, too.

Final thought which may be your best solution. I have used it in three landscape designs where buildings were close to each other and customers wished to block the unwanted view. Hire a carpenter to carefully measure the present window and turn it into a greenhouse window chock full of plants. It has been my experience that Home Depot is the easiest firm to work with to have a greenhouse window built. Then, you have your carpenter install it. Although it costs a bit it is a project that adds value to your property and enhances a kitchen. I have installed one in our present kitchen over the sink. It conceals a neighbor view and visitors admire it with several copying the idea.

• whitecap
    13 years ago

I think you will find that the more attractive, non-invasive bamboos are not sufficiently cold tolerant for your area. I have had some success in raising "wild" bamboo in large pots. You can keep them going for several years until they outgrow the pots. They will require some water.

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

I would first check zoning regs to make sure he's legal, and let them make him take it down.

If it is legal: Unfortunately you are too far north to plant kudzu next to it, but maybe a nice ivy would cover it real quick.

• KateLatierra
    13 years ago

lazygardens is correct. If you've checked zoning regs and your neighbor's legal, go ahead and address the situation. You can get sound advice from katy landscaping professionals. They provide tree services as well as other simple home landscaping that will solve stuff like this.

Sponsored
MAC Design + Build
Average rating: 4.3 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudon County Full-Service Design/Build Firm & Kitchen Remodeler