Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eric24601

Seeking ideas for formal garden in oddly shaped front yard?

Eric24601
10 years ago

I'm going to have all the foliage you see removed so I can start anew, including that sapling in the foreground. Creating a formal garden will be a challenge because I don't have a flat, rectangular space. Also, the front yard slopes down from the house to the sidewalk. The picture is tilted to the right, so the yard slopes down to the left as well.

I'm considering digging up the entire front lawn to put in this garden. Some ideas I'm considering include:
1. Having a thick, sinuous line of manicured Lavender across the middle of the yard, surrounded by a low, colorful groundcover.
2. Position topiary in large pots around the yard, surrounded by a colorful carpet of low-growing plants.

I should note that my area has a large deer population.

Comments (14)

• yin49
    10 years ago

My design:

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

Eric, It would be good if you offer a basic analysis of what needs screening, covering or barricading (the things that plants do) and explain how the proposals you offer accomplish those objectives. I'm having a hard time seeing how they will do the things that need to be done. For example, doesn't it seem like the house at the left should be screened, at least partially?

• catkim
    10 years ago

I would suggest that you would need significant hardscape to accomplish this formal landscape. As I understand it, you wish to have the formal design override any other issues. It is the formality that appeals to you, correct? If so, low terracing with retaining walls or paths may be required. Is this in your budget? You mention topiary in large pots. Large pots, in my mind, mean 24" or greater diameter, making them very heavy and immobile, and necessarily of high quality, therefore: pricey. That must be in your proposed budget as well. Do you have a theme in mind for the topiaries? What would you model this garden on? Is there a place you have visited that gave you this inspiration? The more information you impart, the better others can help.

• rosiew
    10 years ago

You would benefit by telling us where you are and your USDA zone.

Huge fun project!

• rosiew
    10 years ago

Just saw this on Facebook. Might garner some ideas.

Thinking your either really busy or have forgotten you posted.

Here is a link that might be useful: Article FRONT YARD GARDENS

• Eric24601
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Forgive my lack of relevant information; this is my first time soliciting information on a gardening site.

yin49: Thanks for the design idea!

rosiew: I'm located in the Washington, DC area, and I'm in zone 7a.

catkim, Yardvaark: I was wondering what others thought was possible with my yard. The effect I'm going for is 'elegant and eye-catching', and I'm curious what others think would make that possible.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

Eric, It's fine to have "elegant and eye catching" as a goal. In that context, wouldn't you still wish to accomplish the basic objectives of landscaping ... screen undesirable views ... enhance desirable views ... provide a sense of protection or sheltering for certain areas, etc.? ... which is why I asked about your thought process on analyzing what you have. From the brief description of your proposals, I could imagine how either might make an artistic statement, but not how they'd accomplish the aforementioned general goals of landscaping. "Formal" and "informal," in my mind, don't do a very good job of describing what something might appear like. "Formal" wouldn't necessarily look like a Victorian scene, but that's what most people associate with it.

I'm not against large pots, per se, but when you add "placing them around the yard," I'm thinking that such plants might ought to be huge, if they're going to have an appropriate scale (the house is tall) and give the impression that they don't need to be replaced with larger material. I can't really imagine that you'd be thinking of buying such large containers ... when formal looking plants planted in the ground would be so much more affordable. Doesn't it seem like some analysis is necessary ... or is this only about a superimposed artistic vision?

• Eric24601
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@Yardvaark: My goal is to solicit other gardeners to get ideas, not to submit my proposals for review. My 'proposals' are just the best ideas I've come up with so far, which aren't much. My objectives are brief because I know what effect I would like, but I don't know the best way to go about achieving it.

Based on what you see in the picture what do you think I screen? What elements would you place in my yard, and where? I welcome your input.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

The drawing is scratchy, but I think it can suffice. I began by outlining with yellow ovals the areas needing screening and a blue oval where the view needed to be maintained (of the house.) Then I added plants to those areas in a way that they would accomplish the prime objectives. When it comes to the formal aspect, it would become formal if you use artfully shaped plants with crisp definition to their form, for anything that is tree or shrub-like. The groundcovers are still fillers, but their shape on the ground would need to reflect a distinct geometry. Formal is exceptionally organized and tidy.

• mad_gallica (z5 Eastern NY)
    10 years ago

I'd recommend starting with more research. There are a lot of historic estates in that area. Visit them and take notes and photographs about what you like, what you don't like and possibly why. Walk and drive through neighborhoods looking at the landscaping. Get landscaping books from the library and read through them. There are a lot of resources out there.

Unless the slope from right to left is more than it seems in the photograph, the slopes shouldn't be a serious problem for the design.

It is going to be hard for us to be more specific because, among other things, we don't really know what you mean by 'formal'. I know what *I* mean by that word, but I'm not convinced it is what you mean.

Forget the lavender. It hates mid-Atlantic conditions.

Are knot gardens on your radar?

• Mike Larkin
    10 years ago

May I suggest that you find a landscape designer and have him or her prepare a plan. You home looks beautiful and it will look even better with a professionally prepare plan. It is easy to pick the wrong plants, put them too close or not buy the right combination that look well together.
    You can buy the design and plant yourself if you want to save $$.
    Finally - It is very hard to give good advise from one photo and no measurements .

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: my site

• Eric24601
    Original Author
    10 years ago

@Yardvaark: Thanks for the drawing. It gives me a good idea what you're describing.

• Ecl09
    10 years ago

I really like Yardvaark's idea to frame the view of the house. Were you thinking of planting any flower beds next to the house? It's sort of difficult to see the how far your sidewalk is from the front of the house, but that could make a nice little spot for a colorful flower bed. If you are new to projects like this, I typically recommend using a garden planner tool like the one shown below when testing out ideas for flower beds. Looks like a fun project!

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Planner Tool

• freshfruit
    10 years ago

Hi Eric,
    Having hailed from no. VA, I can recommend Merrifield Garden Center in Fairfax. They used to offer free garden design assistance and had some great ideas for our place. You may want to call and see if they still have the service. I have no affiliation with the nursery....just wish I had the same resource where I now live and always loved walking around the huge nursery for ideas. Good luck!