Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wood (dog eared) onto existing chain link

Posted by dandcp 10 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 9, 07 at 13:07

I have a 12foot high chain link fence along my backyard and I would like to have a bit more privacy so am planning to attach a 6 foot wood fence to the chain link.
What I am thinking of doing is just attach the 2x4 stringers to the metal posts. But how? since I can't go to the otherside of the tall fence very easily I was thinking I would just drill a hole into the pole and screw some sort of a lag bolt through the stringer into the pole. What is the best way to do this? Or what sort of bolt should I use? I don't want to have to tap the hole but just attach the stringer somehow.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wood (dog eared) onto existing chain link

Is it your chainlink fence or does it belong to a neighbour or some municipal body?

o
RE: Wood (dog eared) onto existing chain link

There are metal rings with tabs that can be placed around the pole then bolts are run through holes in the tabs to bolt the wood on. Then the holes are in the wood not the pole, and the pole is not weakened. I once attached a wooden fence to a chainlink fence like that, but the chainlink fence was a 3' fence on top of a brick block wall so the wood fence rested on the top of the brick block wall. I also may have used the horizontal pole at the top of the fence, not the vertical pole like you would have to use. You need some kind of post going into the ground for stability, I would think, as you wouldn't want the weight of the wood fence hanging from the chainlink fence. Support posts are generally set into concrete.

There are wooden slats that can be woven through the chains on the diagonal that make it much more private, and would not require a lot of costly construction and support. I don't know if you see that as an acceptable solution.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here