Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Narrow Privacy Planter Advice

Posted by somethingsilk CA (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 16, 12 at 13:22

I am looking to block the view of my neighbors home from our yard. Right now there are some flax plants against a wall in a very narrow (less than a foot)brick planter. Also, I have some clematis vines that are very slow growing on a trellis. Can anyone recommend some tall trees with a narrow trunks , or a bush that will look good in this space. I don't want to do bamboo, but was thinking maybe Bay Laurel, podocarpus, or pittosporum.

Any help would be appreciated.
Attached is a pic.

http://i1251.photobucket.com/albums/hh546/mattsilk/backyard.jpg

Here is a link that might be useful: my backyard

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Narrow Privacy Planter Advice

It would be tough to grow anything sizeable in a 1 ft planter. Have you thought about espaliered trees? They won't hide the view of the house much but they're so interesting you may not even notice the neighbor.

o

This may be too big for your planter but check out the link below and click on the top image to see it better.

Perhaps there is some other fast growing shrub that can be grown as a tree and still fit nicely in your planter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ligustrum japonicum grown as trees

o

Sky pencil holly maybe work.

o

• Posted by catkim San Diego 10/24 (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 16, 12 at 14:09

Chamaedorea seifrizii or Chamaedorea costaricana are thin-trunked, clustering palms that resemble bamboo, but don't drop near as much litter. I don't know what your weather is like, but seiftrizii can take a lot of heat. The Podocarpus and Pittosporum will do, but you will be committing to a lifetime of trimming.

o

I second Catkim's suggestions , especially the Chamaedorea . I love the look of palms around a pool as it transports my mind away to far off tropical islands.
( If you can't afford a trip to Bali , then create it in your own backyard )

Another choice for you to research is a woody vine called Grewia ( lavender star flower ) It grows great in narrow spaces and against a supporting structure.
I have one espaliered against my brick chimney where the planting bed is about 12 to 14 inches wide.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here