Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I looking for Inspiration pics of small back yards.

Posted by tomatotomata 10 (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 17, 11 at 13:38

Can you direct me to some websites? I can find a lot of pics of big fancy places, but I'm looking for examples closer to reality LOL.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I looking for Inspiration pics of small back yards.

Have you done a search for "small gardens"? Tons of pictures, ideas, plans and suggested books to read. Visit your library for books by Keith Davitt, especially SMALL SPACES BEAUTIFUL GARDENS. He is an expert on the subject.

o
Thanks nandina.

I'll hit the library this weekend!

o

And here's couple more for you to check out:
Gardening in Small Places, a Fine Gardening Special Interest publication, and Natural Gardening in Small Spaces by Noel Kingsbury (a noted landscape designer). Both have LOTS of inspirational photos :-)

I actually prefer designing for a small property -- I find it easier to create a sense of sanctuary and lushness when working within the confines of a small place. And more publications of this type would be helpful to homeowners - in many more urban areas and even some suburban areas - like much of California - properties tend to be very tiny lots with respect to the size of the residence so small garden spaces are pretty much SOP. And then there is the popularity of townhomes with their tiny attached gardens. Sometimes traditional landscaping practices are just not very appropriate for these pocket gardens. The homeowner or designer needs to get creative!

o

Small is par for the course here so there is lots of advice about. My own garden is 15 paces from the house to the back wall and 6 wide. The link might be useful.

Here is a link that might be useful: Advice on planning small gardens

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here