Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marlene_bohanan

Landscaping ideas

Marlene Bohanan
10 years ago

My husband and I purchased this 1831 Federal style house to restore and are about finished with the interior. We are now ready to tackle the exteriior where the only decorative vegetation on the place is some orange daylies that are behind the house.

The front yard of the house is about 50' long and probably that wide. The house faces east. I hate the way it looks now, and I am not particularly a grass fan, but I have no idea how to tackle that large a space. BTW, when it warms up, the front door will be painted red and dark shutters will go on the windows.

This post was edited by martybee_mo on Tue, Feb 18, 14 at 13:42

Comments (12)

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

I would consider a line of flowering trees flanking each side of the yard ... redbuds, for example. With wide bands of low groundcover below. And then keep plantings fairly unsmothered around the house. You might like grass better if it was improved to be a nice lawn. (It looks very "rough" right now.) At the street, there could be a couple or two pairs of street trees (not shown) so as to "frame" the view.

This post was edited by Yardvaark on Tue, Feb 18, 14 at 20:24

• Marlene Bohanan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yardvark, thanks for your ideas! This is on the line that we have been talking about. Would it be better to use only one type of flowering tree or could we use a couple that bloom at different times? The lawn is rough. Moles have been having a great time this winter. But even with beautiful grass, I prefer almost anything other than grass.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

"Would it be better to use only one type of flowering tree or could we use a couple that bloom at different times?"

A somewhat farfetched example might explain the point. Suppose you a decorating a living room which has room for one couch. When you visit the furniture store, you fall in love with two different styles of couches and can't decide between them. Then you get the brilliant idea that you will have both, You'll cut them in half and splice the two halves together to get the best of both worlds. (You just have to go with it that this is possible and practical.) With you new couch that incorporates both styles, is the overall strength of artistic statement of your decorating project strengthened ... or weakened? While with the spliced couch the living room will contain a GREATER VARIETY of styles, I maintain that its overall artistic strength will be weakened as opposed to what a single style would have provided. If you visit Washington, D.C., you will see different types of cherry trees. But these will be arranged so that one type of cherries are present in one location, and a different type of cherries are in a different location. As a rule, you will not see the different types of cherries mixed up together in a single location. [Someone who lives in Washington might know of places where there are exceptions to this rule, but the point is, it would be an exception ... not the general way it's done that leaves a lasting vision -- of endless, like cherry trees -- in most visitor's minds.]

It makes sense to add something different where the circumstances call for it, but not where they don't. You could flank the house itself with a different, taller tree (which might offer some different color/texture feature, though not necessarily bloom.) You could use a different tree for street trees. But I wouldn't divide a single line of trees into more than a single type.

While you're not asking for hardscape, it is another way to incorporate interest into the picture. A formal drop-off/arrival area could look quite good with this house. (I'm not showing how it could connect to the drive or street as there would probably be several options that work.) It could add another, different plant at its center in the form of a low groundcover. (Still not showing street trees as in this view, we would be looking below their canopy and between their trunks, so not see them.)

• seydoux
    10 years ago

wow!

• Marlene Bohanan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

That's exactly what it needs! Something large, low and curved to counterbalance the height and angular features of the house. And, I like that the flowers in the center are the same color as the redbuds. BTW, your analogy of the couch was right on. Now, my major decision is what flowering tree I want to use. So many grow well here in mid Missouri. Thank you so much for your suggestions.

• Suzi AKA DesertDance So CA Zone 9b
    10 years ago

I think a beautiful fountain in the middle of the flowers would look stunning as well. Could be a statue too, but something of height would add additional interest.

Suzi

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

To my thinking, something vertical in the center of the circular path would compete with the much more important doorway and portico that is beyond. (BTW, not saying what this yard should be ... these are just suggestions for what is possible when the ideas are worked out. There are innumerable possibilities regarding how to incorporate and arrange these elements.)

As for a flowering tree, I think it's hard to beat a redbud as everything about them is so good. En masse they can be stunning. They are easy to make multi-trunk, and for my taste that is the way to go, providing greater division & filtering from what is outside the space, but without being wall-like.

• yin49
    10 years ago

A great place,worth more time for designing.

• Marlene Bohanan
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, everyone, for your input - particularly Yardvaark. You've given me a lot to think about which is what this is all about.

• PRO
    Yardvaark
    10 years ago

Thank you and Good luck!

• M_N_A
    10 years ago

yin49, how do you mock up and overlay objects on top of the original? is it from some software?

• yin49
    10 years ago

I use Maya,3dsmax...software.