Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vp_78

Need ideas for a very small and narrow drought tolerant garden

vp_78
10 years ago

Hello experts - we have a narrow strip right next to our house that needs help. Since we're in Southern Cal (San Diego), we need to use drought resistant plants and/or succulents, but the light is really weird. The strip is 3.5 feet wide by 12 feet long. The front part 6 feet receive about 4 hours of sun in the winter, and probably 6-7 hours of sun in the summer (late morning to afternoon). The rear 6 feet receive only a couple of hours of sun in the winter, and maybe 4 hours of sun in the summer. We inherited a couple of daylilies, a meyer lemon in a container, the hibicscus that you see in this photo, and 4 rectangular metal planters (there are two in this photo to the right of the garden strip). While I love lush mediterranean gardens with lots of flowers like geraniums, painted daisies, lavender, lilies, etc, I think this strip is too narrow. Plus, there's the water issue.

I was also thinking some kind of rock garden, with containers?

I have no idea. And unfortunately we can't change any of the hardscape, both for financial reasons and for HOA restrictions. But we could add something to the other side of the walkway.

I know this is a VERY meager little garden area, but I'd still like to to look as lovely as we can make it...

Thanks for anyone taking the time to comment!

{{gwi:10360}}

Comments (4)