Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need ideas for a very small and narrow drought tolerant garden

Posted by nika107 So. CA zo10 (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 7, 14 at 13:46

Hello experts - we have a narrow strip right next to our house that needs help. Since we're in Southern Cal (San Diego), we need to use drought resistant plants and/or succulents, but the light is really weird. The strip is 3.5 feet wide by 12 feet long. The front part 6 feet receive about 4 hours of sun in the winter, and probably 6-7 hours of sun in the summer (late morning to afternoon). The rear 6 feet receive only a couple of hours of sun in the winter, and maybe 4 hours of sun in the summer. We inherited a couple of daylilies, a meyer lemon in a container, the hibicscus that you see in this photo, and 4 rectangular metal planters (there are two in this photo to the right of the garden strip). While I love lush mediterranean gardens with lots of flowers like geraniums, painted daisies, lavender, lilies, etc, I think this strip is too narrow. Plus, there's the water issue.

I was also thinking some kind of rock garden, with containers?

I have no idea. And unfortunately we can't change any of the hardscape, both for financial reasons and for HOA restrictions. But we could add something to the other side of the walkway.

I know this is a VERY meager little garden area, but I'd still like to to look as lovely as we can make it...

Thanks for anyone taking the time to comment!

photo IMG_2076_zps33c278e9.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need ideas for a very small and narrow drought tolerant garde

• Posted by bboy USDA 8 Sunset 5 WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 7, 14 at 13:51

Might be some ideas or inspiration for you at the San Diego Botanic Garden, not far from the main coastal freeway near Encinatas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Low Water Gardening for Coastal San Diego

This post was edited by bboy on Fri, Feb 7, 14 at 13:54

o

• Posted by catkim San Diego 10/24 (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 9:29

Containers need more frequent watering than plants in the ground. A selection of succulents in orange and turquoise tones would look very nice with your house color and brick. Know in advance the mature size of the plants you select -- some succulents can become tree-like. If you wish, add some blue fescue for softness. Because it is a small area, you could splurge on some fancier rock, such as coral with sea shells and sea glass mixed in. Or rounded river rock can be appealing, with a few larger, angular rocks deeply set for accents.

First make sure the bed is weed free. If needed, improve the soil so that drainage is sharp -- succulents don't want to sit in wet soil. If you plan to use drip irrigation, plot your drip lines. Lay down a heavy layer of plastic, cut holes and plant your succulents. Spread your rock over the plastic. Stand back and admire your work.

o

I think a light weight vine climbing up the stucco wall would be nice.

o

• Posted by bahia SF Bay Area (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 17, 14 at 0:21

Succulents would thrive there, and just a few species such as Cotyledon orbiculata v orbiculata, Echeverias such as Afterglow, imbricata, agavoides, pulv-oliver, Bulbine frutescens, Sedum ' Angelina' or rubrotinctum, maybe a few Aloes such as striata, vera, and a few taller nonsucculent accents such as Alyogyne huegelii or Coleonema pulchrum 'Sunset Gold' or Lavandula stoechas would all give a lush look without much water.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here