Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
garden location help

Posted by mcleester none (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 2, 14 at 14:00

I am trying to figure out if I can put a garden in an area bordered by trees. It currently has a lawn that grows quite robustly.

We have a side yard that would be an ideal location for a garden -- close to the house, close to the shed, not in the front yard.

But I am worried if it will get enough light. There are pine trees on the south edge and tulip poplars on the western edge. The poplars are nice because they give it afternoon shade.

I did a sun survey on March 23 of last year. The area got 5-6 hours of light. And it gets more in the summer as the sun goes above the pines. What I am worried about is if that is enough and if I should be worried as the pines continue to grow.

Is there a standard distance away to put a garden from trees? Can I somehow use the sun's angle and the pines to determine the light?

We grew a "test bed" on the western edge. It grew fine (although the plants did grow in towards the east)...there were tomatoes before the deer got them all. But we did have collards as late as November. One of the reasons to build the larger garden will also be to fence it.

Any help or advice to resources would be great. I couldn't find much on the web.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: garden location help

If there's enough light, another factor to consider is that if the garden is too close to trees, roots of same will continuously infiltrate garden space, making annual preparation difficult. Better to keep some distance ... at least out of the drip line plus some additional.

o

I assume a drip line is where the branches extend to? I am clear of that. Thanks for the info. I guess I'll just go for it!

o

yes, it's the line on the ground where the tree canopy, above, ends. Tree roots will extend beyond the drip line, but at least you have a hope of beating them back. Within the drip line, it's almost hopeless.

Much of gardening is figuring out how to get what you want in spite of the odds working against you. Yeah ... just "go for it!" You'll figure out how to make it work.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here