Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Designing a garden around my fish pond

Posted by 614Tiger2 Ohio (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 9, 11 at 15:45

I have a 5ft.oval shaped fish pond that I would like to design a flower garden around that comes back every year and attracts humming birds and butterflies. What kind of plants should I use? Can you name the different flowers that I should use? I live in Portsmouth, Ohio.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Designing a garden around my fish pond

You can plant anything you want next to a fish pond so long as you pick plants that are likely to thrive in the spot given the conditions.

Personally I like to see ponds that mimic a look that you might see in nature. To achieve this kind of look, it often takes a lot of fussing, trial and error, to get it to look just right.

It's usually a good idea not to shade your pond too much with perimeter plantings because water lilies and an assortment of other exciting submergent aquatics require an abundance of sunlight to thrive and flower. While you want the pond to be in sunlight, you should compliment a full sun pond with water plants such as water lilies to shade the immediate surface of the pond which will in turn keep algae growth to a minimum.

o
fishpond

I think I got a little off tract with my last post because I have a lot of experience with ponds and I wanted to give you insight into the big picture of pond design. But to answer your question about specific plants that attract hummers and/or butterflies I've had great success with great blue lobelia, cardinal flower, butterfly weed, bergamot, beardtongue, asters, and butterfly bush. A search around the internet can give you more ideas I'm sure.

o

To show off a pond I would suggest lower plants. Not to invasive ones. I have tried taller plants and couldn't see through them as they got larger.I have ornamental grasses and speed-well mixed with just a few scented geraniums. I put a few annuals in to brighten it up all summer. I live about 60 miles from you, it is good to know we are neighbor's. What kind of fish do you have and how many for that size pond?

o

Check out this website it has a list of plants that are good to use around and in your pond. It also has a list of Toxic Plants.
I hope this helps
Lisa
http://www.koi-pond-guide.com/koi-gardens.html

Here is a link that might be useful: Koi Gardens

o

To answer the question on fish. I just have regular gold fish, approximately 10 of them.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here