Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
northernellie

Fair price on mature boxwoods?

northernellie
15 years ago

I have 16 4-5 foot tall English boxwoods that came with the house, all green and full, trimmed pompom style. No sign of any disease, only some minor psyllid leaf curling on some (only visible up close). Trouble is, all 16 are in front of the front door and the smell drives me batty, plus I don't find such a large congregation of formal boxwoods particularly attractive, being more of a cottage gardener type myself.

There is a company that is interested in coming and digging them, but we have not discussed price yet. They keep asking what I want and I'm not sure. I hear 4-5' healthy boxwoods are $500 or more a piece from a nursery or landscaping company, but what is a fair price from me, if they are doing digging work? They will also backfill dirt and there will be a damage repair contract.

Thanks!

Comments (20)

• inkognito
    15 years ago

Fair exchange is no robbery.

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    15 years ago

Ink, that's pretty cryptic and I have no idea what you mean by that :-)

nothernellie, it is a bit optimisitic to think that your boxwoods would fetch what would be considered a "retail ready" price. That is usually reserved for plants that are specifically grown for the garden or landscape industry - rather than recycled plants like yours - and (hopefully) in the peak of condition and appearance. Retail nurseries that are resellers (not the growers themselves) buy these from growers or wholesalers at about half that cost, sometimes less.

If I were you, I'd attempt some calling around to any local growers or plant wholesalers you can locate and see what they are asking for similar plants. A word of warning: they may not want to divulge this type of information to someone not in the trade. If you know someone in the nursery business or a landscaper (obviously not the potential purchaser!), it may be helpful having them run interference for you and get the information.

I think you should expect to receive about half what these plants would cost in a retail nursery setting, especially given the added expense to the purchaser for removal and the damage waranty. That's not to say I wouldn't quote them a higher cost initially but be prepared to have a realistic bottom line if you want them removed.

• bahia
    15 years ago

I'd guess that 1/4 to 1/3 of the retail price is more realistic in your situation. If you felt this wasn't worth your while, you could always try selling them yourself through craigslist or similar. You might find you get a better return if you are willing to consider an exchange of plants or services inlieu of cash...

• deviant-duhziner
    15 years ago

Just purchased 15 twenty gallon boxwoods for $ 100.00
    to fill holes in an existing hedge.

They were 36 inches tall and wide.

• laag
    15 years ago

The digger will also be assuming the risk of loss if some do not survive. He'll have to dig them, ship them, store them, take care of them, and accept the loss if some don't make it. When he finds a buyer, he'll have to prepae them to ship, ship them, dig holes, plant them, and maybe guaranty them.

I honestly think you'll do well to get $500 for the whole lot.

• Embothrium
    15 years ago

Look in directories for local sellers specializing in large specimens and call any you identify, feel them out. I have the impression the "big" trees coming out of old properties and being displayed on retail lots here are often being gotten for the cost to the retailer of digging and transporting them, the original owner getting a free removal out of the deal and that is all - but I could be wrong.

• inkognito
    15 years ago

Sorry gardengal, I was trying to be economical in these hard times but bboy fleshes it out or, in other words: if these unwanted plants are removed and the ground made good its evens-stevens. If the company that digs up the boxwood makes on the deal no biggy especially as they are taking all the risk.

• nicethyme
    15 years ago

I have just purchased 4-5' english box for 225 each, selling for 600 each. We assume expense of digging, buyer pays time & equipt from my yard to their property.

• northernellie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all for responding. Such a wide range! So, at best half, and at worst nothing, right?
    To answer some questions. They are English Boxwoods, 30-40 years old. They are globe shaped or close to it, with most being as wide as tall I think, with none narrower than 3 1/2' or so. I have pics but don't know how to attach yet. All guesstimation but usually I am good about it.

Another question... Could we get more if my husband and I dug & burlapped ourselves? We don't mind a little sweat, it's just time vs. money. How much do they weigh I wonder, and how much it costs to rent a bobcat!

• nandina
    15 years ago

Let's get real here! As a former nursery owner, you are darned lucky to have someone interested in buying your boxwoods, especially in this down market. Must be a fairly large, well known business in VA. You should take whatever you can get and run. You don't want them...right? Forget about digging them yourself. Tough work which requires an acquired skill, mainly the burlaping part. By the time you rent a bobcat, buy burlap, have a truckload of soil brought in and smoothed to fill holes any profit is out the door. I would not be surprised to see this nursery's offer withdrawn due to the economy and 'down' sales this spring. Ask them to make you an offer. Bargain from there. Get on with it today and count your lucky stars!

• pls8xx
    15 years ago

This so much reminds me of a property I bought about 15 years ago. It had on it a Magnolia grandiflora that was a 12 to 15ft tree. Growing without competition it had developed with a classical shape and the homeowner had not butchered it by cutting the lower limbs. In short, it was a superb specimen.

But it was in a space way too small for the size it would become and I also knew that I would want to regrade the area to a different elevation. I had no use for it.

I called a LA I knew that has a small part time practice and described the tree. I told her it was free to any of her clients that could use it and I was in no hurry for removal. It was in an area accessible to a tree spade or backhoe.

Three years later I cut it down with a chainsaw and removed the stump. In the real world some stories don't have a happy ending.

• northernellie
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all of your opinions. I haven't heard back from them so perhaps they lost interest.

Nandina, vinegar and vitriol doesn't win friends OR influence people, at least to do what YOU think would be best. People are simple animals that way - they shy away from bad feelings of any kind including any (even good, even excellent) ideas that came with them.

pls8xx, not a happy ending may end up being the case, but I think we will try anyway.

We're going invest in a root cutter and good spade for digging and then we can go rescue old plants that we do like from other peoples relandscaping efforts or demolitions also. At least, if we have to give them away, they will go to good homes and we'll get some exercise. And we'll be in a better position to sell them than if they were still in the ground and we were more dependent upon a company to dig.

If I remember, I'll update when they're gone.

Ellie

• nh84641
    14 years ago

A friend of mine was recently a renter in Maryland and accidently fell into a 70 year old English Boxwood. I've looked everywhere on the internet and nurseries but no one has on older than 1 year old. Where do I find these?? The renters landlord wants to charge him $700 dollars. It doesn't matter what state, I would really like to find one not so expensive ! Any help would be very appreciated.
    nhladky4479@gmail.com

• curious_in_va
    14 years ago

Is ~$700 a fair price for a 68 year old boxwood with a conical shape and about 6.5 feet tall? Mine was damaged by a neighbor's tree and am trying to ascertain replacement cost -- if any.

• isabella__MA
    14 years ago

Did you ever sell these to the nursery?

• HU-290959
    6 years ago

I have 20 Boxwoods I would like to sell. I am at ron@visitlandmarks.com

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    6 years ago

It would make far more sense to post this on your regional forum or on craigslist. Boxwood is SO common just about anywhere as to deter anyone from mail ordering plants over any sort of distance. Much cheaper just to go to Home Depot and buy what they need :-))

• Cameron Canzellarini
    3 years ago

Looking to buy 30 + mature boxwood. Call/text me at (860) 796-9552

• HU-104112957
    2 years ago

Please give me the contact information for the company that will purchase mature boxwoods. I have some for sale. Thanks.