Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need to hide furnace and dryer exhaust pipes

Posted by micamom z6 NJ (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 27, 10 at 15:55

I am putting a circa 1961 ranch house on the market this spring. Last fall I had a landscaper remove all of the 50 year old deer eaten shrubs that made up the foundation planting. I have pachysandra beds left in front of the house and have been told by the realtor that I really need a few shrubs for curb appeal.

This is deer country and I need some suggestions for some foundation plantings to hide the pvc exhaust pipes that are very visible. The pipes are right under the kitchen window. Thanks for you help

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need to hide furnace and dryer exhaust pipes

There you go Andrew, this one is for you (don't tell me I need a LOL?)

o

If you are looking for fairly generic plant selection ideas, which is what I imagine your realtor means, then you're better off enquiring at your local nursery rather than here.

KarinL

o

• Posted by mjsee Zone 7b, NC (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 27, 10 at 18:08

Karin makes a good point. Go to your local, independent nursery (NOT Home Despot or Slowes) and talk to them Tell them your sun situation,watering situation, soil type. They will be able to make deer RESISTANT suggestions. Nothing is really deer proof if there is heavy population pressure.

I spray everything now...even the deer resistant stuff. Particularly if it's a new planting. I alternate between I Must Garden and Treeguard.

Good luck.

o

micamom if you are also looking for evergreen you might try some of the small blue spruce. I don't know the size you are looking for but there are many choices that are globe shaped and would give some lovely color even in winter. You can also get some smaller evergreen Barberry in colors, but all aren't evergreen so research to make sure they are. Also look at some of the smaller Ilex (holly) that are evergreen. You will get many size choices in all of these choices.
Cher

o

• Posted by mjsee Zone 7b, NC (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 28, 10 at 18:06

I am in zone 7b...so my plant choices might not work for you. If you have some shade...one of the pieris japonica might do well for you. Deer leave it alone...it blooms...it's evergreen...take a look at 'Temple Bells'...IF your GC says it will grow in your area.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here