Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soil cement over crumbling asphalt?

Posted by javamom (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 1, 14 at 17:15

We are using a crumbling asphalt driveway as a long patio (thanks for previous helpful replies on what to do with this area!). Is it crazy to think about installing a layer of soil cement over the remains of the asphalt?

It needs to be resurfaced to make it more user friendly -- very hot on bare feet and the asphalt "gravel" gets tracked everywhere. With kiddos in college, we are seeking budget-friendly solutions to get through the next 3-5 years or so. Long-term goal is to tear it all out.

Last year I purchased a light beige asphalt sealer hoping that would help, but our spring and summer were too rainy to apply it. Now I think the driveway has crumbled to the point where sealing it is no longer an option.

Any experience with soil cement to share? I am thinking about buying bags of soil, not using soil from our yard, so I think the level or organic material would be less.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soil cement over crumbling asphalt?

There are a lot of variables. My only experience with soil cement was limited and long ago. It took more cement than I would have guessed so the work self destructed over one winter. Hard freezing turned it all back into soil. Soil with little organic matter would be best.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here