Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bungalow Landscape Help Needed

Posted by AnnieM100 Zone 10 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 18, 14 at 17:43

Hi there! The pavers are in and am now tackling my landscape and could really use some help on plant suggestions! In the background I have silver sheen trees that were just planted in January. I am open to any suggestions. I really need to get separated from that green house next door and establish a separate identify for my home. What I would like to use are: double trunk pygmy palm, flax, Sega, bird of paradise. Not looking to get grass because I wanted to keep maintenance low and conserve water....any and all suggestions welcome!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bungalow Landscape Help Needed

My design:

o

Why a DOUBLE-trunk pygmy? Unless you are using a matching pair of them to flank something, a triple-trunk (or greater) would look better -- more complete -- as a standalone plant.

You should indicate where you are located as it will make a difference. All zone 10 do not have same climate.

o

• Posted by catkim San Diego 10/24 (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 19, 14 at 0:40

Arizona? What is the height of the box by the walk? It looks about 5 ft. tall, but that has to be the angle of the photo...

Another photo from across the street would help, also a view looking outward from the house, or from the drive -- different angles.

o

Hi, I will post different angles later today, when the sun comes out. I live in Carlsbad, CA - a coastal community. I was thinking of a double pygmy because I think my yard is too small for a triple to stand alone? Also got a good deal on two double ones. I would be happy to put two double ones down. The mailbox is 5 ft high. Thanks all, will post new photo angles later today.

o

Hi there, here a different angle from the street, hope this helps illustrate my dilemna....thanks!

o

Another broader view of my little bungalow...

o

• Posted by catkim San Diego 10/24 (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 26, 14 at 2:00

If you are in Carlsbad, plant Howea forsteriana (Kentia) or Foxtails as triples. I've seen them at the orange box store for a very good price. Pygmy date palms have the most vicious spines, give them away unless you can plant them where nobody will ever get close to them.

o

I tend to agree about the Pygmy date palms and their spines! Also, they sucker! So what is 3 trunks when you buy it will be 20 trunks!

You have so many options where you are! Great climate for everything! I might put 3 dwarf citrus (2 here, and 1 there), and a few flowering plants for color. Verbena and Lantana are a couple, and then there are floribunda roses!

The citrus is edible plus it's green year round!

Good luck with your choices!!

Suzi

o

I agree with staying away from the Pygmy Dates, they're a pain to trim/prune as their spines can reach over 6 inches long! If you want a palm with a similar look, try a Phoenix Rupicola. They have a similar look but end up growing taller and the spines are almost non-existent.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here