Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help identify this material!

Posted by palmcitrusbananavaz7 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 10, 13 at 18:17

photo photo_zps1bc4d701.jpg

Does anybody know how something like this would be built? Is this stucco? or some kind of white cement? (on like cinderblocks)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help identify this material!

Looks like stucco on rebar to me ... but I'm certainly no expert!

o

It is white painted or white tinted stucco.
A footing is built of concrete , metal rebar is embedded and concrete block is built up with concrete backfilling the concrete voids.

For the fire place a firebox is installed along with a flue. It becomes more complicated if you are installing a gas fireplace vs. a wood fireplace.

It's really not a DIY'er project if you include the fireplace.
If you are just considering building the circular seating area without the fireplace then I think that is in the realm of a DIY'er project.

o

Thanks for the replies! I was just wanting to make the seating part.

Could you help me with some instructions? Could this be put on concrete?
I was going to try the put a basic DIY fire pit in the middle...not like the one in the picture.

I will try to get a picture of the area I am trying to build it in later tonight!

Thanks

o

Whether you build the surround out of stone or stucco, the substructure will usually be made out of Concrete Masonry Units.
Best to pick up a library book on laying CMU or hire a professional. It requires some skill , a variety of tools and past experience will prove helpful .

From portfolioMay08.jpg

o

So your saying your saying what I am trying to accomplish won't work? You can't build on existing concrete?

o

What about just pavers you can buy from home depot?

photo e8cc0b22-691a-4d59-bbf6-573e8428bb41_zpsf1396aa5.jpg

o

You can probably plunk down some pavers from Home Depot, but you won't achieve the look that is in that book/ photo.

If I were given the task to design a seating ring with that existing slab I would want to do some research first to determine the slab thickness and how it was reinforced.

If I were to determine that the slab was properly reinforced and had a min. thickness of about 4 inches I would feel confident in designing the seating portion ontop of the slab but the back rest portion would be built with a footing on the outside perimeter of the slab.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here