Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
inkognito_gw

The INKognito effect

inkognito
12 years ago

Landscape design is not like origami. Origami requires imagination and skill, I showed woman's work here recently as proof but it is limited to paper. Landscape design is wide open in the material available, (bagels anyone?) it also requires imagination and skill but is easily shepherded into cliche so that foundation planting becomes formulaic.

When people participate in a forum such as this in an intelligent way although it would be easier to separate the askers from the answerers then things zing. Think collaboration. I find it intimidating when someone successful enough to own a house with a garden asks a question through their computer while announcing their ignorance. Presumably this is not a dummy and if there is a collaboration between a musician and a stage designer or a cook or a lay preacher or a dog lover and a garden designer this way s the INKognito way.

Comments (35)

• adriennemb2
    12 years ago

"Being ignorant is not so much a shame as being unwilling to learn." (Benjamin Franklin)

• deviant-deziner
    12 years ago

Good enough Ink.

The Deviant Duh-ziner effect resembles The Honey Badger Effect : She don't give a sh*t.
    I guess that is one reason why my favorite color is brown, unless someone from the dept. of Landscrape Duhsigners ask, and then my favorite color is plaid.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7wHMg5Yjg

Here is a link that might be useful: Honey Badger, she don't care.

• drtygrl
    12 years ago

There is absolutely an INKcognito effect; its just that no one has ever called you out on it in your own personal thread. But don't let that stop you!! Start your own personal thread yourself!

Lets post more animal videos! aardvarks, honey badgers, my personal choice is fisher cat.

• adriennemb2
    12 years ago

I like this version of honey badger better...as if she really gives a sh*t ;)

Here is a link that might be useful: Walk on the wild side

• timbu
    12 years ago

I thought the INKognito effect meant wearing golf stockings with a black cloak and a mask!

• inkognito
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Never mind the 'golf stockings' it looks like I have been outed

Alan

• deviant-deziner
    12 years ago

Alan , Alan, Alan, ALAN !!!!!!!

too friggin funny.

• wellspring
    12 years ago

Your countryman put it well: "I cannot forecast the actions of INKognito. He is a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma."
    And he's cute, too, I'll wager.

• daisychain01
    12 years ago

Well, there's the problem - the forum is riddled with CDN's. I think there's a powder you can sprinkle to get rid of them.

• inkognito
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ya but Winston Churchill was English like me daisy and although I now live in a land that gets periodically sprinkled with a white powder I guess I am here to stay eh? See I've even got the lingo down.

• adriennemb2
    12 years ago

Ah, but you are only truly Canadian if, besides knowing why it's so funny when someone says they smell burnt toast,
    it's almost impossible to even write a sentence without ending it with "eh"...

Frankly, I don't know how the Brits and Americans can even do without it...

• wellspring
    12 years ago

To be or not to be, that is the question, eh?

I came; I saw; I conquered, eh?

Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn, eh?

Asymetrical shrubs (sic) are atrocious, eh?

• drtygrl
    12 years ago

Y'all need to embrace some of the bestest american phrases. Y'all know that dontcha?

• daisychain01
    12 years ago

Will I be dating myself if I ROTFL about the burnt toast? And can I presume to wish you a happy Louis Riel Day?

I really wish we could embrace "y'all". It is so useful and much easier than "all you guys."

• wellspring
    12 years ago

Y'all gets my yes vote.

But is it a fawcett a spicket or a tap?

A bucket or a pail?

TomAto? or, tomAHto?

• deviant-deziner
    12 years ago

Can't 'refudiate' that .

At least Ink doesn't beat it like a dead horse when someone disagrees with him.
    Guess'n he knows he's not The Decider.

• adriennemb2
    12 years ago

@ daisychain - Nah, you wouldn't be dating yourself. The Doctor Penfield moment still pops up every now and then on TV.
    And yes, in the UK, they may celebrate Guy Fawkes day but here in Manitoba, we commemorate our very own Louis Riel.

And speaking tangentially of Americanisms, I think that I may just shoot myself if I hear one more person "aks" a question...

• drtygrl
    12 years ago

I think you spell it "ax" a question. ;)

• natal
    12 years ago

Ax ... aks ... sounds the same and has the same irritating effect.

First word I embraced after moving to the South was y'all. Couldn't drop "you guys" fast enough.

• duluthinbloomz4
    12 years ago

Didn't someone treat us once to the fine distinctions between y'all and y'alls and all y'all or all of y'alls?

• inkognito
    Original Author
    12 years ago

If I can bring things back to my side of the pond for a second did you know that today, Shrove Tuesday is also Pancake day in the UK? Did you also know that tomorrow is Ash Wednesday ,burned pancakes anyone, so Canucks and squareheads are closer than our gardening taste would suggest. Burned toast/burned pancakes geddit>

Englishman an Irishman and a Scotsman were in a pub, talking about their sons. My son was born on St George's Day," commented the English man. "So we obviously decided to call him George" "That's a real coincidence," remarked the Scot. "My son was born on St Andrew's Day, so obviously we decided to call him Andrew."
    "That's incredible, what a coincidence, "said the Irishman. "Exactly the same thing happened with my son Pancake."

To explain: I thought it would nice to hang out (an Americanism) just as an attempt to reclaim some of our community, that needs putting back together after the Spring cleaning.

• duluthinbloomz4
    12 years ago

Tomorrow is dies cinerum, but it's also recycling day here. And I'm religious about recycling.

I think I knew something about today being Pancake Day. For us Poles, it was Paczki Day - deep fried dough dessert, usually filled and covered with powdered sugar. You can just feel those arteries closing. One of our grocery stores carries them - not quite as good as either of my Grandma's, but good, nonetheless. What to give up for Lent once the 3 remaining paczis in the 4-pac are gone?

I have an errand downtown so will get ashes at my favorite church - untouched by time and filled with benignly smiling plaster saints. Hope I don't get too big a smudge. But I don't mind wearing my faith on my forehead for one day as opposed to wearing it on my sleeve for the other 364 days.

• drtygrl
    12 years ago

No offense to pancakes, but I kind of prefer the Mardi gras celebration over pancakes. I am sure some one will have a problem with that; maybe beads protect plants or maybe they don't.

• daisychain01
    12 years ago

Hmmm, did anyone else notice a post disappeared from near the beginning of this thread?

Is there someone actually monitoring these boards that closely? If there is, does that mean there's a chance someone will actually listen to my request for a new forum for piddley residential garden design? Not that I wouldn't love to stay and keep making out with you guys (pardon me - "ya'll"), but I (obviously) don't have the experience to fit in around here and would like some place tamer to educate myself. Sigh... can't blame me for trying (but I'm sure someone will).

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    12 years ago

daisy - experience comes with time and practise. If you have an interest in design, stick around - this is actually a fun place! If you don't feel confident/ knowledgeable enough to offer suggestions to posters, ask questions. Questions are very valuable to draw attention to things, to draw out further details from either or both the OP and responders and so on....

• daisychain01
    12 years ago

I really appreciate the invite to stick around (and I probably will). It's not so much confidence or knowledge of the subject, it's more the culture of the forum. I can't quite put my finger on (it's not as easy as some have put it ie, "you're all mean"), but it feels so different than other forums. There is no conversations side, the gallery side has not even one picture and, most notably, it seems that generally the topic is put before the people (and in an academic setting that's what you want, but in a forum?)

• pls8xx
    12 years ago

daisychain, are you saying that coming here is like being a patient at a medical school hospital?

• daisychain01
    12 years ago

psychiatric school hospital, maybe?

I think ya'll are rubbing off on me already. I just felt the need to cyberally yell at someone (notice I didn't use actual name, so I'm still not fully infected) for suggesting someone plant a whole swath of bishop's/gout weed in their back yard "if they don't have plans to garden". Well, the OP said they are only there for 5 years - what if the next owner has plans to garden?! What if the neighbour has plans to garden?! It's like saying go ahead and plant the elm under the powerline cause you'll be moving out before it becomes a problem. Wow, that does feel good. Maybe I am ready.

• woodyoak zone 5 southern Ont., Canada
    12 years ago

LOL! Welcome to the forum Daisy! :-)

• drtygrl
    12 years ago

Daisy-SO glad you are coming around to enjoy the insanity!

I think the reason there aren't any pics in the gallery is that many of us try to control our pics by putting them on a photo hosting site. A while ago there was some scuttle about GW claiming the pictures were their property or some such bs and so many decided to control them by taking them off the website. Its similar to not being able to edit your posts - once you post something it is out of your hands forever.

I don't really follow any other forums, so I really don't know how this one is different.

• natal
    12 years ago

Of the forums with galleries on GW most are fairly idle. People have become use to posting pics in threads. I think the galleries were created when some complained about slow loading on threads with photos in Discussions. I remember that's how it went down on the Cooking forum many years ago.

As for the GW claim to ownership of pics/comments ... we're talking about the internet. Anything you post anywhere is pretty much public domain.

• deviant-deziner
    12 years ago

Hello Natal,
    If my mind is working correctly , as I can best recall, ( my brain is getting old ) The claim of ownership to photos was an issue for me and several others because the 'new' company that bought Garden Web was predominately publishing company.
    As a professional I had experienced some re-produced photos in one or two of their sister publications and was uneasy about the wording in their agreement. So I stopped participating.

I don't know if the same company still owns GW now but I have taken a few classes since then on web based property rights to images and reproduction of work product and feel a bit more secure in knowing how to protect my work product from being used without my consent.
    There are simple and complex ways to lock your photo as well as copyright an image.

So that's my own experience with posting photos. Others may have a different experience.

• pls8xx
    12 years ago

I am currently in a squabble with photobucket. When I refused to agree to their new terms of use (copyright issue) I was blocked from entering my account to remove my material by the method provided in the previous agreement between us. Under the old terms, removal extinguished photobucket's license to use and distribute my works.

I am currently investigating the possibility of a class action suit against photobucket.

• natal
    12 years ago

DD, I've heard a couple others voice similar opinions. I can understand if you're a professional photographer, but the majority of us here on GW take pics to share.

On one of the food blogs I visit the owner has 3 or 4 different warnings about not using her copyrighted recipes and photos ... even for personal use ... unless you receive prior written permission from her. This woman posted on the GW Cooking forum at one time. If she has a recipe I'm interested in I don't ask for permission to copy and paste. The same with any photo that might accompany it. All of her photos are watermarked. I would think that was adequate protection.

• deviant-deziner
    12 years ago

Natal,
    I wholeheartedly agree with your sentiments.
    Watermarking is a very effective way of instilling some kind of protection.

I'm not a professional photographer but a professional landscape designer who can occasionally capture a decent image.
    On a quasi- regular basis I am contacted by a few different publications for images and written word.
    The pay is not going to put me in the top 1 % [ ;-)] but it is much appreciated compensation for work done on behalf of their corporation.
    The problem usually occurs when I ( or we professionals) are standing in the check out line at the supermarket and pick up a magazine and see our work published and no credit was given or permission was asked.
    Sure most of us are thrilled to see our work in print but a little 'love' would be nice thrown our way. ;-)