Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone ever blow sand under a house?

Posted by swampwiz (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 23, 10 at 18:56

I will be buying a house very soon, and there is standing water under the house (which of course is on piers.) My home inspector said that the remediation for this problem is to simply blow sand under it. He said that for my house (about 800 ft^2), needing 4" should cost about $1K.

My real estate agent referred me to a contractor who said it would cost $3.5K! I called my home inspector again, and he said that job estimate was bovine defecation. So I am scrambling around to find someone. Any ideas on how to find someone, and how much it should cost in a generally low labor cost area? (Oh, and I have asked my inspector to consult his Rolodex for referrals.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone ever blow sand under a house?

Don't buy that house. Shall I make it, more Hollywood "Run" more technical "Run away".

o

The purpose of the sand is to fill in the low spot, so as to change the ground surface elevation to enhance drainage away beneath the house or to provide a drainage layer?

I've lived in a house on piers in the tropics, but I don't recall anyone having to do this.

o

• Posted by laag z6CapeCod (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 23, 10 at 21:23

Have the seller fix the house and then check it out.

o

Break in the water line? Quite common problem in the south. Other houses in the area built on piers with the underneaths finished for parking and storage and this one does not? Beware. Mosquito breeding spot? In 'gator territory? Does it appear that they have been excavating and resting under the house? Underneath of house have mildew? If a northern property this situation would not be common. Think twice about buying this property.

o

Did it recently rain or is the water table this high? I'm guessing your property is in the south, probably a sandy soil with high water table and no risk of freezing. If this is the case, then you do have to worry about mold. Did the inspector not notice mold or is there signs of mold issues being addressed from the previous owner. Ask the owner if there has been any issues with the water. I agree with above, tell the owner to fix it. The purpose of the sand is to fill the grade up above the water table. The water table may fluctuate with the rain, so the water table may not be constant. Check with the surrounding home owners to see if they have this issue and maybe they can recommend someone.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here