Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blank Slate

Posted by bradleydyess Louisiana (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 13, 13 at 19:33

I've recently purchased a home and have made great strides to clean up the exterior. As you can see in the "before" pictures, it was quite overgrown when we bought the place. I've cleared just about everything out and you can at least see the house from the street again. My problem is that I'm at a loss as to what to go back with.
Problem 1 - the house is in a curve, when you're driving down our street, you can see inside of the carport and most of the back yard.

Problem 2 - The house exterior is bland and ordinary. Painting is in my plans but want to come up with a landscape plan prior to painting so I can coordinate colors better.

I have added a few crape myrtles along the right side of the driveway and a couple of redbuds along the left side. I also planted 2 dogwoods between me and my neighbor to the left as an attempt to cover up his parking lot of vehicles and junk he keeps in his carport (my desire is to build a 10' wall between my house and his...LOL)

We're planning on living here for quite some time so I'm not interested in breaking the bank all at once. My goal is to improve over the years and hopefully 5 to 7 years from now, we'll be the envy of the neighborhood. I know the driveway would be a huge face lift but we're probably 5 years away from that project. I'm not particularly interested in going back with raised beds across the front of the house like I removed but would love to add a walkway from the center of the house over to the driveway. I'm hoping to remove the pine tree to the left in the next few years but in the mean-time I'm planning to remove the raised bed and ground cover that's around it.

Any ideas and advice would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blank Slate

pic2

o

after cleanup 1

o

as seen from down the street

o

Whether you use it physically as such, the lawn is a wide grass path that sweeps visually to the face of your house. The most obvious place to pass through it is in the central portion toward the door/entrance. So that's not where i'd start pinching the view with plants. (Instead, "widen" the door itself with shutters or special trim and make it look more important.) It would be better to move plantings off to the sides. As a start, giant "bouquets" at each front corner and beyond, and down the right side of the drive, along the house would be nice. Groundcover below. Catawba crapes would be excellent plus. (I can see a taupe-ish grey house, white trim and cranberry-mauve-ish shutters--or something along those lines--with those crapes.) Annual or perennial color--especially with blue or purple in it (Liatris, salvia)--at the base of each front post could give it some spark. When you have lawn, keeping it in tip-top-uniformly-green-all-over shape is critical to the overall appearance of your property.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here