Return to the Landscape Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
feedback on beds and plant selection?

Posted by maggiepie11 North Texas (My Page) on
Wed, Feb 12, 14 at 19:57

hi there,

we're building a home in north texas, and just got our landscape design plan back from the designer. we like the beds, but many of the plants he chose were on our "do not like" list. i.e. he had a ton of ornamental grasses and i just have never liked them. he also had several variegated privets and i'm not a fan.

so we took his 2D plan and put it into a 3D plan with some landscape software to see if we liked it. there were lots of elements we liked, and lots we didn't, but I made some tweaks and this is where it stands at the moment.

anyone have any feedback?

I won't put an arrow to each plant, but the plant selection list is as follows:

White Indian Hawthorn
Boxwood
Dwarf Burford Holly
Fuschia Loropetalum
Knockout roses
Loropetalum dwarf purple pixie
Compact Texas Sage

Chinese Pistache tree for shade out front
1 Vitex along foundation corner
5 Crape Myrtle lining driveway
Weeping Blue Atlas Cedar featured at guest house

The house faces north. We're new to this part of the country, so many of these plant selections are new to us. any you'd avoid? and why? any other feedback?

thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: feedback on beds and plant selection?

and one more photo

o

I like more shade and shrub in north texas.

o

• Posted by catkim San Diego 10/24 (My Page) on
    Thu, Feb 13, 14 at 23:54

I can't offer much information about plants in Texas, but I do love a well-grown weeping blue Atlas cedar.

Your software is clever, but it will be unusual for you to ever see your garden from that perspective. :) I would only caution that real live plants are never so well-behaved as digital plants, and that's a very positive thing. Your real garden will grow in unexpected ways, unlike the tidy little shrubs depicted. If you can accept the plants for the imperfect beauties they are, I imagine you will be very satisfied with your garden.

I would very much enjoy seeing photos of your final installation, and hearing how it went for you.

o

Yin thank you for taking the time to mock that up. Our front actually gets a lot of shade already and we like the look of or new house as is without adding a large loggia type structure. That said I think there could be great value in adding some of the shady shrubs in our very exposed back yard!

Catkim great point about the angle and the software world v reality. I actually posted this odd helicopter view only so it would be easier for you all to see how the plants are laid out. Also the big shade tree blocks some of the front bed when I use the street view. :)

The weeping blue atlas cedar is the one thing hubby and I really wanted to incorporate but we don't get enough Sun in the front where it might be appropriate to plant but we will still enjoy the view against the guest house!

Thanks for your thoughts.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Landscape Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here